Ankolysing spondylytis

Sir my spine is fusing and I m taking saaz and oral steroids for this . my current crp after taking medicine is 10 and esr is 8. I m worried that if this follows will I be crippled and is there any surgery by which I can get back my spine flexible ,6 vertebrate fused.

Doctor Answers (3) on Ankolysing spondylytis

Dr. Parag Patil Nagpur | Orthopedic Surgeon
As already discussed, physiotherapy helps a lot to maintain the flexibility of the spine and joints. But once fused, there is no surgery to regain motion. If the spine is fused in an abnormal position causing difficulty in gait, corrective surgery can correct the deformity to a great extent in majority of cases. Hips and knees do very well after joint replacement. However prevention is always better than cure.
Dr. Tanushree Vedi Faridabad | Physiotherapist
Physiotherapy will help your muscles stay active. With proper medicines physiotherapy is very important in ankylosing spondylitis. Once your acute phase ends then u can learn exercises and do regularly at home. But u need to keep getting checked at set intervals. Sports like swimming, basket ball can be a great help depending on your fitness and pain level. Stay active n do not give in to the condition.
Dr. Amit Dua Delhi | Rheumatologist
If u R having ankylosing spondylitis then steroids and Saaz won't be of any use as it will not act over your spine. You need to visit your rheumatologist who will put u on NSAIDs after evaluating you and probably you may need biologics . Physiotherapy and exersizes specially swimming will also help. But first you need to be evaluated by a rheumatologist. Wishing you a speedy recovery.