Albinism chances

So my grandmother had a brother who has albinism.Later now my cousin brother has got a child with albinism.Now I want to get married and now I am worried if I am also a carrier of albinism and whether my child will affect with it.I want to know if there are any tests which can rule out whether I am albinism carrier or not

Doctor Answers (1) on Albinism chances

Hi. Greetings. Are you going in for a consanguineous marriage??! Albinism or Oculocutaneous albinism can result from mutations in many genes, including TYR, OCA2, TYRP1, andSLC45A2. Changes in the TYR gene cause type 1; mutations in the OCA2 gene are responsible for type 2; TYRP1 mutations cause type 3; and changes in the SLC45A2 gene result in type 4. Now with gene mapping one can find out whether the presence of the recessive alleles has made you a carrier or if there's any other mutation. Only if you get married to someone who's also a carrier for the same type of albinism genes there are chances that some of your children may have albinism. This may be tough to explain to you in very fine detail on this forum. Therefore please see a person involved in genetic counseling / qualified dermatologist near you. Warm regards .