Advise on Liver Biopsy

My 6 month old male baby is suffering from GSD Type1a. He has no weight gain since 2nd month and growth is also very slow. Till now not holding head and not rolling over. Doctor has advised for Liver Biopsy test. I am sending LFT report. As per Doctor baby's liver is also enlarged. Doctor has not prescribed any medicines till now. Please advise is it safe for baby to undergo liver biopsy test at such small age and also being under weight. Based on test result Will Doctor advise some medication so that growth starts for my baby. Kindly let us know. Thanks.

Dr. Bhalchandra M Jayakar
Pediatric Surgeon 15 yrs exp Mumbai

Liver biopsy is a diagnostic test done to confirm metabolic / other liver conditions to plan for management and treatment. Age is not a criteria to be considered. If the blood reports are within safe range, it is a relatively safe procedure in competent hands. I am sure your Doctor has already explained the risks and complications to be anticipated in this procedure. Cure / Medications can come only after a confirmed diagnosis of the Condition. All medical conditions do not necessarily have a curative treatment.