Frequently Asked Questions
What is Colposcopy?
Colposcopy is a medical diagnostic procedure that is used to examine the vagina, vulva, and cervix for abnormal growth of cells or for the signs of disease. During Colposcopy, the doctor will use a medical instrument called colposcope to check the area of vagina, cervix, and vulva and provides a magnified and illuminated view. If any abnormal cells are seen, then the doctor may collect sample tissues [biopsies] from the area. Mainly, this procedure is used to find the presence of cervical cancer.
What are the advantages of Colposcopy?
Some of the advantages of Colposcopy are:
- Detects abnormal growth of cells in the cervical area [cervical cancer]
- Diagnosis of vaginal diseases
- Can notice cervical skin changes which cannot be seen with naked eyes
What are the indications of Colposcopy?
Colposcopy is indicated in the following conditions:
- Cervical cancer
- After abnormal results of cervical screening test
- After positive results of HPV test [human papillomavirus]
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Bleeding after sex
- Abnormal vaginal pain
- Cervicitis [inflamed cervix]
What are the steps involved in Colposcopy?
Following are the steps that explain how Colposcopy is performed:
- The patient will be asked to lie on the back with placing the feet on the footrests for support.
- For a clear picture inside of the vagina and cervix, a speculum will be used by the doctor to hold the vaginal walls separate.
- Now, the colposcope is placed outside of the vagina opening and a solution is applied to the vagina and cervix. This solution makes easier to look the abnormal areas.
- If any abnormal area is detected by the doctor, then a sample tissue will be collected for further examinations.
Who can perform Colposcopy [Right specialist type for Colposcopy]?
Colposcopy can be performed by:
What is the cost of Colposcopy?
Cost of Colposcopy depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-procedure complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost for Colposcopy in Chennai starts from Rs.13,775
Average expenses for Colposcopy in Chennai is approximately Rs.17,100
Maximum amount to be paid for Colposcopy in Chennai rises up to Rs.33,250
Is Colposcopy a major procedure or minor procedure?
Colposcopy is a minor procedure as it involves colposcope for the examination of the cervix, vulva, and vagina.
What are the risks and complications associated with Colposcopy?
Few risks and complications of Colposcopy are:
- Bleeding [in case a biopsy is also performed]
- Vaginal discharge
How long does it take to complete Colposcopy?
The doctor may take almost 10-20 minutes to complete the Colposcopy.
What is the recovery time?
After completion of the Colposcopy, most people will continue their daily and social activities within 24 hours.
If a biopsy is also done, then the patient may take 1-2 days to recover from the procedure.
What is the success rate of Colposcopy?
The success rate of Colposcopy depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- Health condition of the patient
- Experience of the doctor
However, the success rate of Colposcopy maybe around 90%.
Is Colposcopy permanent?
No, Colposcopy is not a permanent procedure as it does not involve any incision and can be performed in the doctor's office.
What are the long-term results of Colposcopy?
Few long-term results of Colposcopy are:
- Does not affect the sex drive
- May have mild vaginal pain or discomfort if a biopsy is done
- Fertility is not affected
- May find Cervical cancer
Can Colposcopy be detected in future?
Colposcopy cannot be detected in the future as it does not involve any incisions.
What are the options if Colposcopy fails?
If Colposcopy fails, then the doctor may suggest a revision of the procedure.