1. What are the signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis?
The signs and symptoms of ulcerative colitis include
- Rectal bleeding, pain
- Abdominal pain, diarrhoea
- Weight loss
- Severe pain while passing stools
- Fatigue, fever
2. Are there any risk factors for ulcerative colitis?
Yes, there are risk factors for ulcerative colitis like
- Family history
- Immune system disorders
- Bacterial or viral infections
3. What are the drugs used in ulcerative colitis?
The drugs used in ulcerative colitis are
- Olsalazine, Mesalamine
- Corticosteroids like prednisone, hydrocortisone
- Immunosuppressants like cyclosporine, azathioprine, infliximab
- Antibiotics, and anti-diarrheals
4. What are lifestyle measures in ulcerative colitis?
Lifestyle measures in ulcerative colitis are
- Avoid dairy products, spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine
- Drink plenty of water and take small, frequent meals
- Exercise regularly and reduce stress
- Maintain a healthy diet that is rich in Vitamin C
5. Is ulcerative colitis curable?
Yes, ulcerative colitis is curable if it is managed early by medications, surgery and lifestyle changes. However, being an autoimmune disease, there are bound to be periods of relapses and flareups over the years.