Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What do you mean by a slipped disc?
A slipped disc is a type of complication occurring in the rubbery disc present in between the spinal bones. This condition is also known as herniated disc, and the inner portion of the disc can protrude through the outer ring.
2. What are the common symptoms of slipped disc?
This condition is based on the affected disc location and the compressed nerves. The common symptoms of slipped disc are as follows:
- Lower back pain
- Back stiffness
- Pain in the limbs
- Radiating pain, tingling and numbness
- Muscle weakness
3. What causes a slipped disc?
The protrusion of inner portion of the disc through the outer ring leads to a slipped disc. This happens due to the following reasons:
- Lifting heavy objects
- Age-related changes
- Trauma or sudden twisting movements
Risk factors include smoking, obesity, family history and occupations requiring heavy lifting.
4. What care can I take at home for slipped disc?
The following home remedies are usually advised in case of a slipped disc:
- Hot fomentation
- Light stretching exercises
- Avoid lifting heavy objects or sudden bending
- Proper posture
- Back-strengthening exercises
5. Which treatment options are available to treat slipped disc?
The treatment options available for the treatment of slipped disc are as follows:
- Administration of painkillers like ibuprofen
- Physiotherapy along with strengthening exercises
- Hot fomentation and traction
- Muscle relaxants along with cortisone injections
- Surgeries such as microdiscectomy, laminectomy or spinal fusion