135 doctors available in Patna
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What are the causes of fever?
A condition in which the body temperature exceeds 38 degrees Celsius (normal body temperature is 37 degrees Celsius) is termed as fever. Infections are the most common cause of fever. Other causes are heat illness, medications (antibiotics), cancers, vaccinations and autoimmune diseases.
2. Is fever an alarming condition?
Yes, fever is an alarming condition in various situations/individuals, such as
- Infants or toddlers having a severe infection
- Adults, when the body temperature exceeds 39.4 degrees Celsius, immediate medical attention is required as it could be life-threatening
3. Can vaccinations lead to fever?
Yes, you may get mild fever with chills, pain and fatigue after vaccination. If it does not resolve on its own, it is a matter of concern. If the symptoms become severe, a physician's consultation is required.
4. How to diagnose the exact cause of fever?
Fever can be diagnosed as follows:
- Evaluation of symptoms and past diseases by the physician
- Physical examination
- Blood tests
5. What will the doctor prescribe for fever?
Initially, the doctor advises antipyretic drugs, such as aspirin or acetaminophen, to get the fever under control. Post diagnosis of the cause, the doctor may advise specific antibiotics or antiviral medications depending on the cause. Hospitalisation is essential for infants younger than 28 days.