Frequently Asked Questions
What is Stapedectomy?
Stapedectomy is the surgical removal of the fixed or damaged stapes bone in the middle ear and replacing it with suitable micro-implants to restore the normal hearing function. Fixation or damage of the stapes bone within the middle ear often occurs due to conditions like otosclerosis, congenital malformations or middle ear infections, etc.
What are the advantages of Stapedectomy?
A few of the advantages of Stapedectomy include an overall improvement in hearing function and the patient may not have to wear any hearing assist devices after the surgery.
What are the indications of Stapedectomy?
Few of the indications of Stapedectomy are:
- Conductive hearing loss
- Fixated stapes bone
- Abnormal mineralization of stapes (Otosclerosis)
- Middle ear infections
What are the steps involved in Stapedectomy?
- General anesthesia/sedative will be given to reduce the pain and relax the patient.
- Essential vitals of the patient like blood pressure, pulse, heart rhythm, oxygen saturation, etc. will be monitored during the procedure.
- The ear canal will be irrigated and cleansed with saline and povidone-iodine solution to prepare for the surgery.
- The surgeon will visualize the ear canal and necessary incisions will be made without damaging the tympanic membrane to create a flap and gain access to the bones in the middle ear.
- A section of the stapes will be removed with the help of blades or lasers and prosthesis made of titanium or Teflon will be inserted to replace the bone.
- As the implant is fixated, the position is confirmed and the tympano-meatal flap will be closed and dressed with necessary bandages.
Who are the best surgeons/doctors to perform Stapedectomy?
A certified and trained ENT Surgeon or an ENT Specialist who is well experienced in performing Stapedectomy can perform this procedure.
What is the cost of Stapedectomy?
Minimum cost for Stapedectomy in Mumbai starts from Rs.22,000
Average expenses for Stapedectomy in Mumbai is approximately Rs. 64,900
Maximum amount to be paid for Stapedectomy in Mumbai rises up to Rs. 1,65,000
Cost of Stapedectomy depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of implants used
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of Hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
Is Stapedectomy a major surgery or minor surgery?
Stapedectomy is a major surgery as it involves in removal of the abnormal stapes bone within the ear and replacing hearing function with the help of prosthesis made of Teflon or Titanium.
What are the risks and complications associated with Stapedectomy?
Few of the risks and complications associated with Stapedectomy are:
- Bleeding and pain from the site of surgery
- Hearing loss
- Change in taste
- Damage to facial nerves (rare)
How long does it take to complete Stapedectomy?
The overall procedure of stapedectomy may take around 1-3 hours to complete.
What is the recovery time for Stapedectomy?
Individuals who have undergone Stapedectomy will take around 3-5 weeks to recover.
What is the success rate of Stapedectomy?
The success rate of Stapedectomy depends on factors such as:
- Medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Age of the patient
However, the success rate of individuals who have undergone Stapedectomy can be 85-90%.
Is Stapedectomy Permanent?
Stapedectomy is a permanent procedure performed to improve and restore the hearing function of individuals affected with fixated stapes bones due to various conditions.
What are the long-term results of Stapedectomy?
Long term results for individuals who have undergone stapedectomy are:
- Improvement of hearing function
- Delay the need of using hearing aids.
Can Stapedectomy be detected in future?
Stapedectomy can be detected in the future with x-rays or CT-scans of the middle ear or the skull.
What are the options if Stapedectomy fails?
In case of a failed Stapedectomy, the doctor may suggest a revision surgery or use of hearing aids like In-ear implants, cochlear implants, etc.