Frequently Asked Questions
What is Fundoplication?
Fundoplication is known as Nissen fundoplication. It is a surgical procedure where the upper curve of the stomach is wrapped around the esophagus and stitched. This surgery helps to treat hiatal hernia and gastroesophageal reflux disease [GERD].
What are the types of Fundoplication?
There are two types of fundoplication and they are:
- Open Nissen Fundoplication
- Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication
What are the advantages of Fundoplication?
The advantages of Fundoplication are:
- Restores normal function of the reflux barrier
- Treats gastroesophageal reflux disease [GERD]
- Treats hiatal hernia
- Reduces the symptoms such as abdominal pain, heartburn, vomiting, and throat irritation
What are the indications of Fundoplication?
Fundoplication is indicated in the following conditions:
- GERD [gastroesophageal reflux disease]
- Hiatal hernia
- Severe hiccups
- Heartburn due to GERD
Who can perform Fundoplication [Right specialist type for Fundoplication]?
Fundoplication can be performed by:
- Laparoscopic surgeon
- GastroIntestinal surgeon
- General surgeon
What is the cost of Fundoplication?
Cost of Fundoplication in Bangalore may depend on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- Severity of the medical condition of the patient
- Type of surgery planned to perform
- Surgeon fee
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of Hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost for Fundoplication in Mumbai starts from Rs. 23,100
Average expenses for Fundoplication in Mumbai is approximately Rs. 35,860
Maximum amount to be paid for Fundoplication in Mumbai rises up to Rs. 1,20,885
Is Fundoplication a major surgery or minor surgery?
Fundoplication is major surgery as it wraps the upper stomach around the esophagus.
What are the risks and complications associated with Fundoplication?
Complications and risks of Fundoplication are:
- Damage to the esophagus, stomach, lung tissues, or may occur
- Trouble in swallowing
- Dumping syndrome [too fast of food travel from the stomach to intestines]
- Recurrence of gastric reflux
How long does it take to complete Fundoplication?
Time to complete fundoplication maybe around 2-3 hours.
What is the recovery time?
The patients who undergo Laparoscopic Fundoplication may take 2-3 weeks to recover completely and the one who undergoes Open surgery may require 4-6 weeks.
What is the success rate of Fundoplication?
The success rate of Fundoplication depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery performed
However, the success rate of Fundoplication may range between 87% to 94%.
Is Fundoplication Permanent?
Fundoplication is a permanent surgery as it permanently wraps the upper stomach around the esophagus to treat GERD or Hiatal hernia.
What are the long-term results of Fundoplication?
The following may be the long-term results of Fundoplication:
- Decreases belching
- Reduces heartburn due to GERD
- Treats GERD and Hiatal hernia
Can Fundoplication be detected in future?
If open surgery is performed, then the Fundoplication may be detected due to the presence of scars.
What are the options if Fundoplication fails?
If Fundoplication is failed, then the surgeon may suggest revision surgery.