Frequently Asked Questions
What is Colostomy?
Colostomy is a surgical procedure that makes either permanent or temporary opening in the abdomen that allows the large intestine to pass all the wastes without passing through rectum or anus. The opening at the abdomen is called stoma. In this procedure, all the solid waste is collected in a pouch worn outside of the body. There are different types of Colostomy surgeries and they are:
- Sigmoid Colostomy
- Descending Colostomy
- Ascending Colostomy
- Transverse Colostomy
Different techniques of Colostomy are:
- Loop Colostomy
- Double barrel Colostomy
What are the indications of Colostomy?
Colostomy is indicated for the following conditions
- Colon, or rectal, or anal cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Diverticulitis [Infection to the small pouches in the digestive system]
- Blockage for the waste to pass through the intestine
- Chronic constipation
- Severe abdominal infection In case, a part of the large intestine is removed
What is the preparation for Colostomy?
Following are the preparations required for the patient before undergoing Colostomy:
- The patient should inform the doctor regarding all the present and past medical and medication history.
- Should stop eating solid food items before 12 hours of the procedure.
- Laxatives and an Enema kit will be given to the patient to clear or empty the colon.
- Discuss all the risks, complications, and benefits of Colostomy with the doctor.
What is the postsurgery care/recovery care for Colostomy?
- After completion of the surgery, it takes an hour to recover from the sedation.
- If there is severe pain after completion of the surgery, take the painkillers prescribed by the doctor.
- Lifting heavy weights should be avoided for 2-4 weeks.
- Bowel sounds and passage of stool in the colon will be observed by the health care professionals to know the status of the surgery.
- Solid food items will not be given to the patient until bowel function returns to normal.
- The patient should not sleep on either side fo the body and should sleep in a position that the chest is facing upwards.
Who can perform this [Right specialist type for Colostomy]?
Colostomy can be performed by:
- Colorectal surgeon
- Experienced Colonoscopist
What is the cost of Colostomy?
Cost of Colostomy depends on the following factors:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of surgery planned to be performed
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
Minimum amount to be paid for Colostomy in Mumbai starts from Rs.49,500
Average charges for Colostomy in Mumbai is approximately Rs.96,800
Maximum expenses for Colostomy in Mumbai rises up to Rs.2,20,000
Is Colostomy a major procedure or minor surgery?
Colostomy is major surgery as it connects the one end of the large intestine under the abdominal wall surface to eliminate the solid waste without passing through the colon.
What are the risks and complications associated with Colostomy?
Risks and complications of Colostomy are
- Damage to the internal organs
- Infection at the site of stoma formation
- Bleeding from the stoma
- Formation of scar tissue
- Skin irritation
- May develop a hernia at the incision site
- Narrowing of the opening in the abdomen [stoma]
How long does it take to complete Colostomy?
Generally, Colostomy takes 30 to 60 minutes to complete.
What is the recovery time?
The patients who undergo Colostomy may take 2-6 weeks to recover completely.
What is the success rate of Colostomy?
The success rate of Colostomy depends on the following factors
- Type of surgery performed
- Experience of the surgeon
- Age and health condition of the patient
However, the success rate of Colostomy may range from 65% to 80%.
Is Colostomy permanent?
A Colostomy is either permanent or temporary and it depends on the purpose of the surgery and medical condition of the patient.