Frequently Asked Questions
What is Arthroplasty?
The surgical correction and replacement of damaged or deformed bone joints with the help of suitable implants or prosthetic joints made of plastic or metal. Arthroplasty is done to treat several joint-related diseases or disorders like arthritis, avascular necrosis, etc. Arthroplasty can be performed to treat:
- Hip joint replacement [Partial and Total]
- Knee joint replacement [Partial and Total]
- Shoulder joint replacement
- Elbow joint replacement
- Finger joint replacement
What are the advantages of Arthroplasty?
Advantages of Arthroplasty are:
- Restores the motion and activity of joints
- Improves the quality of life for all ages of patients with restricted joint movement
- Improves the function of joints
- Reduces joint pain
What are the indications of Arthroplasty?
Arthroplasty is indicated in the following conditions:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Joint fracture
- Pain and swelling of the joint
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Bone dysplasia (unusual bone growth)
- Perthes disease
- Deformed joint with pain and loss of activity
What are the steps involved in Arthroplasty?
- All the vital signs such as heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen levels will be monitored by the anesthesiologist.
- The surgical site will be cleansed with the help of an antiseptic solution.
- An incision will be made in the area to be treated.
- Then, the damaged or deformed joint will be removed either completely or partially and replaced with a suitable prosthetics.
- A drain may be used to remove all the fluid from the incision site.
- The muscles are reattached and the incision is closed.
Who can perform Arthroplasty [Right specialist type for Arthroplasty]?
Arthroplasty can be performed by a certified and experienced Orthopedic Surgeon.
What is the cost of Arthroplasty?
The cost of Arthroplasty in Bangalore may vary according to the following factors:
- Type of implants used
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of the surgery
- Health condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost for Arthroplasty in Mumbai starts from Rs.1,10,000
Average cost for Arthroplasty in Mumbai can be approximately Rs.3,52,000
Maximum cost for Arthroplasty in Mumbai can rise up to Rs.5,50,000
Is Arthroplasty a major surgery or minor surgery?
Arthroplasty is major surgery as it involves replacing the damaged joint with a suitable prosthesis.
What are the risks and complications associated with Arthroplasty?
Risks and complications associated with Arthroplasty are:
- Damage of the healthy bone may occur
- Severe pain at the joint
- Infection at the site of surgery
- Blood clots
- Nerve damage at the site of the surgery
How long does it take to complete Arthroplasty?
Arthroplasty may take almost 30 to 90 minutes to complete the procedure and sometimes it may take more than the usual time depending on the medical condition of the patient.
What is the recovery time for Arthroplasty?
Depending on the type of joints corrected and the surgery performed, it may take 2-6 months for a patient to recover fully from arthroplasty.
What is the success rate of Arthroplasty?
The success rate of Arthroplasty depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- Type of Joint replacement
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of the prosthetics used
However, the success rate of Arthroplasty maybe 90% to 95%.
Is Arthroplasty permanent?
Arthroplasty is a permanent procedure as it involves replacing the damaged or deformed joint with a suitable prosthesis.
What are the long-term results of Arthroplasty?
- Improves the quality of life of the patient
- Decreased joint pain
- Improves range of motion of joints
Can Arthroplasty be detected in the future?
Due to the presence of scars that are formed near the joint region, Arthroplasty can be found in the future. The artificial prosthesis can be found under an X-ray or MRI scan.
What are the options if Arthroplasty fails?
If Arthroplasty fails, then the doctor may recommend revision surgery.