Latenol 50 MG Tablet
Latenol 50 MG Tablet is used for the lowering of high blood pressure and relieving chest pain caused due to reduced blood flow to the heart. It is also used for treating other complications associated with heart and blood vessels.
Major & minor side effects for Latenol 50 MG Tablet
In addition to its intended effect, Latenol 50 MG Tablet may cause some unwanted effects too. In such cases, you must seek medical attention immediately.
- Blurred vision severe
- Difficulty in breathing severe
- Sweating severe
- Cold hands or feet severe
- Anxiety severe
- Chest pain severe
- Dizziness severe
- Decrease in frequency of urination severe rare
- Increased thirst severe rare
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble sleeping
This is not an exhaustive list of side effects. Please inform your doctor if you experience any adverse reaction to the medication.
Commonly asked questions for Latenol 50 MG Tablet
Onset of action
The peak effect of this medicine can be observed in 2 to 4 hours.
Duration of effect
This medicine is excreted in urine and feces. The effect lasts for a duration of 12 to 24 hours.
Safe with alcohol?moderate
Consumption of alcohol should be avoided while taking this medicine, especially when you start taking the medicine or a change its dosage. Symptoms like headache, dizziness, change in pulse or heart rate should be reported to the doctor.
Is it habit forming?
No habit forming tendencies were reported.
Usage in pregnancy?
This medicine is not recommended for pregnant women. Use under the supervision of the doctor, only if clinical condition clearly requires the use of this medicine.
Usage while breast-feeding?
This medicine is not recommended for breastfeeding women. Use only if clearly needed under the doctor's supervision. Monitoring of blood pressure and blood glucose levels is necessary.
List of substitutes for Latenol 50 MG Tablet
Below is the list of medicines, which have the same composition, strength and form as Latenol 50 MG Tablet , and hence can be used as its substitute.
What is it prescribed for?
Uses of Latenol 50 MG Tablet
- HypertensionLatenol 50 MG Tablet is used in the treatment of Hypertension which is an increase in the blood pressure caused by genetic and/or environmental factors.
- Angina PectorisLatenol 50 MG Tablet is used in the treatment of Angina Pectoris which is a type of heart disease characterized by chest pain caused due to emotional stress and smoking.
- Myocardial InfarctionLatenol 50 MG Tablet is used in the treatment of Myocardial Infarction which is a type of heart disease caused due to blockage of blood flow to the heart muscle.
When not to use?
Contraindications for Latenol 50 MG Tablet
- AllergyAvoid if you have a known history of allergy to Latenol 50 MG Tablet or any other medicines belonging to the group Beta Blockers.
- Cardiogenic shockLatenol 50 MG Tablet is not recommended in the patients suffering from cardiogenic shock.
- Heart block greater than first degreeLatenol 50 MG Tablet is not recommended in the patients having a heart block greater than first degree.
- Sinus BradycardiaLatenol 50 MG Tablet is not recommended in the patients suffering from Bradycardia.
Missed / Overdose instructions
Whenever you take more than one medicine, or mix it with certain foods or beverages, you’re at risk of a drug interaction.
Interaction with Alcohol moderate
- Consumption of alcohol while taking Latenol 50 MG Tablet may cause an additional lowering of the blood pressure. This may result in severe complication over time.
- Consumption of alcohol should be avoided while taking this medicine, especially when you start taking the medicine or a change its dosage. Symptoms like headache, dizziness, change in pulse or heart rate should be reported to the doctor.
Interaction with Medicine
- Calcium channel blockerssevere
AsthmasevereLatenol 50 MG Tablet should not be used in patients suffering from bronchial asthma or any other lung diseases. Inform the doctor if you had any history of lung diseases or family history of lung disease. Dose adjustments or an alternate medicine should be considered based on the clinical condition.
Bradyarrhythmia/AV BlocksevereLatenol 50 MG Tablet or other beta blockers are not recommended in the patients with Sinus Bradyarrhythmia or heart block greater than the first degree. Inform the doctor if you have any heart diseases or family history of heart diseases. An alternate medicine should be considered based on the clinical condition.
GlaucomamoderateLatenol 50 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in a patient suffering from Glaucoma. It may further lower the pressure in the eye.
This is not an exhaustive list of interactions. Always inform your doctor beforehand about your medical history and current medications.
Take Latenol 50 MG Tablet with or without food. Do not take in larger amounts than advised. Consult the doctor if you experience any undesirable effects.
Do not stop abruptly this medicine in patients with coronary artery disease as it may increase the risk of chest pain, heart attack or irregular heartbeat. It is discontinued by gradually reducing the dose under the doctor's supervision.
Latenol 50 MG Tablet can cause heart failure and reduced flow of blood to the especially in people having a heart disease. Suitable dose adjustment and safety monitoring might be required based on the severity of the disease.
Latenol 50 MG Tablet is given with caution in the patients who are scheduled for a major surgery. An anesthetic agent with little negative inotropic activity should be selected to minimize the effect on the heart.
Latenol 50 MG Tablet should be used with caution in the patients with lung disease who do not respond to other antihypertensives. Start with the lowest possible dose and increase the dose based on the clinical condition.
Latenol 50 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients with diabetes. It may mask the hypoglycemic symptoms. Regular monitoring of blood glucose levels is necessary. An alternate medicine should be considered based on the clinical condition.
It is advised to not indulge in certain sports while consuming this medicine. Archery, racing, shooting and other high-risk sports should be avoided. Sportspersons should refer to the list of banned medicines published by World Anti-Doping Agency while participating in specific sports events.
Latenol 50 MG Tablet should be administered with caution in patients with increased thyroid levels. Abrupt withdrawal of this medicine may lead to a life-threatening condition called thyroid-storm. Frequent monitoring of thyroid levels is necessary. An alternate medicine should be considered based on the clinical condition.
- Atenolol (Tenormin) Uses, Dosage, Side Effects - Drugs.com [Internet]. Drugs.com. 2017 [cited 10 March 2017]. Available from: https://www.drugs.com/atenolol.html
- [Internet]. 2017 [cited 10 March 2017]. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/25739
- DailyMed - ATENOLOL- atenolol tablet [Internet]. Dailymed.nlm.nih.gov. 2017 [cited 10 March 2017]. Available from: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=f36d4ed3-dcbb-4465-9fa6-1da811f555e6
- Atenolol: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. 2017 [cited 10 March 2017]. Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a684031.html
- Prescribing medicines in pregnancy database [Internet]. Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA). 2017 [cited 10 March 2017]. Available from: https://www.tga.gov.au/prescribing-medicines-pregnancy-database#searchname
- TOXNET [Internet]. Toxnet.nlm.nih.gov. 2017 [cited 10 March 2017]. Available from: https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search2/f?./temp/~NGxmcl:1
We’ve made all possible efforts to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, however, it should not be treated as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Practo only provides reference source for common information on medicines and does not guarantee its accuracy or exhaustiveness. The absence of a warning for any drug or combination thereof, should not be assumed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Practo does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided above. If you have any doubts about your medication then we strongly recommend that you consult with your doctor, nurse or healthcare provider. See detailed T&C here.