835 doctors available in Hyderabad
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is dysentery?
Dysentery is defined as inflammation of the intestines which results in bloody diarrhoea. It is usually caused by infections due to bacteria like shigella, parasites like amoeba or viruses. The infection spreads through contaminated food or water.
2. What causes dysentery?
Dysentery is caused by an infection by bacteria, amoeba or viruses. Shigellosis is a common cause of dysentry caused by bacteria called Shigella and amoebic dysentery is caused by a parasite called Entamoeba histolytica. Other causes include viral infection, worm infestationsor chemical irritation. Poor hygiene is the responsible for the spread of infection.
3. What are the tests for the diagnosis of dysentery?
Dysentery is initially diagnosed by its signs/symptoms and physical examination. Other tests include
- Culture of stool samples
- Blood tests for identification of microbe
4. How is dysentery treated?
Treatment methods for dysentery are:
- Oral rehydration therapy for dehydration
- Antibiotics like ciprofloxacin in bacterial dysentery
- Amoebicidal drugs like metronidazole, paromomycin for Entamoeba histolytica- Light low fiber diet likedal, rice, toast and apple
5. Can dysentery spread from person to person?
Yes , dysentery can spread from person to person through contaminated food or water. Poor hygiene is responsible for the spread of infection. It can spread via direct contact with contaminated objects. Bacteria can spread from person to person too in case of oral or anal intercourse too.