Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Spine Surgery?
Any surgical procedure that helps in repairing or replacing the spine is called Spine surgery. It helps in repairing the damaged spine and also restores the spine functions. There are different types of methods in performing Spine Surgery and they are as follows:
- Disc replacement
- Laminectomy or Laminotomy
- FacetectomySpinal or Vertebral fusion
- Discectomy or Microdiscectomy
What are the benefits of Spine Surgery?
Following are some benefits of Spine Surgery:
- Early recovery from the surgery
- Restores the functions of the spine
- Less painful
- Decreases damage to the muscles and soft tissues
What are the indications of Spine Surgery?
Following are the indications of Spine Surgery:
- Degenerative spondylosis
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Conus syndrome
- Annular tear
- Latrogenic cascade
- Non-dysraphic tethered cord
- Spinal stenosis or tumors
- Degenerative disc disease
- ThesisIsthmic Spondylolisthesis
- Transitional vertebra
What is the preparation required for Spine Surgery?
- The patient should discuss with the doctor about all the risks, complications, and benefits associated with Spine Surgery.
- Inform the doctor about the present and past medical and medications history.
- The doctor may suggest the patient to undergo a few lab tests.
- Health condition of the patient may be evaluated before undergoing this surgery.
- A few hours prior to the surgery, the patient should not eat or drink anything.
- Before the surgery, the patient should sign a consent form.
What is the postprocedure care for Spine Surgery?
- Avoid lifting heavy weights and bending down for at least 4-6 months.
- Take the prescribed medications as directed by the doctor.
- Consult the doctor if fever, pain, and swelling are present even after the surgery.
Who can perform Spine Surgery?
Spine Surgery can be performed by
- Orthopedic surgeon
What can be the cost of Spine Surgery?
Following factors may affect the cost of Spine Surgery in Hyderabad:
- Admission fee
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
- Age of the patient
- Surgeon fee
- Type of implants used
- Health condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost in Hyderabad starts from Rs.45,000
Average price in Hyderabad is approximately Rs. 1,09,194
Maximum expenses in Hyderabad rise up to Rs.2,00,000
Is Spine Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Spine Surgery may be a major surgery as it involves removing or repairing the damaged spine.
Who can undergo Spine Surgery?
Following are the individuals who can undergo Spine Surgery:
- People suffering from severe back pain due to spine damage
- People with spinal nerve damage
- Individuals with a herniated disc
- Patients suffering from sciatica
- Individuals with a deformed spine
- People with a fractured spine due to accident
Who cannot undergo Spine Surgery?
Following are the individuals who cannot undergo Spine Surgery:
- Individuals who are pregnant
- Individuals who are allergic to anesthesia
- People whose age is above 70 years
- Patients who are currently undergoing chemotherapy
What are the complications and risks involved in Spine Surgery?
Following are the risks and complications of Spine Surgery:
- Chances of infection
- Blood loss from the incision area
- Injury to the spine nerves
- Blood clots
What is the time required to complete Spine Surgery?
The time required to complete Spine Surgery maybe 40 to 90 minutes.
What is the recovery time from Spine Surgery?
Recovery time from Spine Surgery may be 24 to 48 hours and depends on the health condition of the patient.
What is the success rate of Spine Surgery?
Following factors may affect the success rate of Spine Surgery:
- Patient age
- Health condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery performed
However, the success rate of Spine Surgery maybe around 96%
Does Spine Surgery cause pain?
Due to the anesthetic effect, the patient does not feel pain during the surgery.
Is Spine Surgery a permanent surgery?
Spine surgery is a permanent surgical procedure as it repairs or replaces the damaged part of the spine.
What are the long-term results of Spine Surgery?
Following are the long-term effects of Spine Surgery:
- Decreases the symptoms like sciatica pain
- Improvement in the functions of the spine
Can Spine Surgery be detected in future?
Spine surgery may be detected in the future as small scars will be present at the site of the surgery.
What are the available options if Spine Surgery is not successful?
If Spine Surgery is not successful, then the doctor may suggest undergoing revision surgery.
What can be the alternatives for Spine Surgery?
The following are the alternatives for Spine Surgery:
- Regular exercise or yoga
- Back strengthening exercises
- Non–invasive spinal decompression
- Annuloplasty or Intradiscal electrothermal coagulation procedure
- Spinal manipulations