Frequently Asked Questions
What is IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
IVF is a medical procedure that helps to treat infertility and genetic problems. This procedure includes fertilization outside of the body.
What are the advantages connected with IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) has the following advantages:
- Helps the infertility couples to have a healthy baby
- Helps the couple suffering from PCOD/PCOS [Polycystic Ovarian Disease/Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome] related infertility
- Treats the males suffering from infertility due to low count sperm
- Elderly patients with a low count or reserve of eggs can take advantage of IVF
- Helps to have a baby with the own egg of women whose fallopian tube is blocked or damaged
- Stores embryo
What are the indications of IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
Indications of IVF are:
- Reduction in sperm production
- Failure of the ovary
- Damage of the fallopian tubes
- Ovulation disorders
- Uterine fibroids
What is the preparation needed for IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
- Discuss with the doctor about all the risks, complications, and benefits associated with IVF.
- Inform the doctor about the present and past medical and medication history.
- The patient should get done a few tests such as infectious disease screening, practice embryo transfer, semen analysis, and uterine cavity exam.
- The doctor may check and evaluate the quality and quantity of the eggs.
What are the steps involved in IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
Following steps are involved in IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization):
- Ovulation is induced by using some medications.
- After a few days of ovulation induction, eggs and sperms are retrieved.
- The retrieved eggs will be incubated in a culture medium.
- Sperms are separated from the semen fluid.
- The incubated eggs and sperms are fertilized and after the 5th or 6th day of fertilization, embryo hatches.
- Finally, the embryo is transferred.
What is the Postprocedure care for IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
- Do not lift heavy-weights
- Avoid strenuous exercise
Who can perform IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) may be performed by:
- Experienced Gynecologist in handling infertility patients
- Doctor with an affiliated degree of specialization in Obstetrics and Gynecology
What is the cost of IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) in Hyderabad?
The Cost of IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) in Hyderabad depends on:
- Type of the procedure planned to be performed
- Doctor's experience
- Type of the facility
- Number of IVF treatment cycles
- The room that you opted for
- Any lab tests or examination tests such as USG, Semen analysis, etc
The minimum price for IVF in Hyderabad starts from Rs.25,000
An average cost for IVF in Hyderabad is approximately Rs.1,55,000
The maximum expenses for IVF in Hyderabad may rise up to Rs.2,00,000
Is IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) major procedure or minor procedure?
IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) involves retrieval of the eggs and sperms and inducing them for fertilization. Hence, IVF may be a major procedure.
Who can undergo IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
People who can undergo IVF are:
- Having a history of failed fertility treatment and failed intrauterine insemination [IUI]
- Males suffering from decreased sperm quality and quantity
- Individuals below 40 years of age
- Women with the unhealthy uterine condition
- Women with failed conception attempts
Who cannot undergo IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
People who cannot undergo IVF are:
- People above 40 years of age
- Couples who have not tried other methods like fertility drugs and intrauterine insemination
What are the risks and complications involved in IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
Risks and complications that are involved in IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) are:
- Risk of diabetes mellitus-2 and hypertension
- Pain in the abdomen
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome or superovulation
- Difficulty in breathing
- Breast tenderness
- Enlargement of the ovaries
What is the recovery time for IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
People who undergo IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) are able to do their normal or daily activities after completion of the embryo transfer.
What is the success rate of IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
The success rate of IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) depends on:
- Experience of the doctor in performing IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)
- Age of the patient
- Number of treatment cycles required
The success rate of IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) may range between 35% to 45%.
Is IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) painful?
Patients may experience different levels of pains while placing the fertilized zygote back into the uterus. The level of pain varies from one individual to another.
What are the long-term results associated with the IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) has the following long-term effects:
- Excessive estrogen production in the body
- Birth defects to the baby
What if IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization) fails?
If the 1st treatment cycle fails, then the doctor suggests a revision of several IVF treatment cycles.
What are the alternatives available for IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization)?
Following are the alternatives for IVF (In-Vitro Fertilization):
- Surgical intervention
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- Ovulation induction
- Artificial insemination (AI)
- Combination of techniques like ovulation induction along with intrauterine insemination (IUI)