Frequently Asked Questions
What is Gastrectomy?
Gastrectomy is a surgical procedure performed to remove the stomach of an individual either partially or completely. Gastrectomy is used to treat stomach cancer or tumors and can also be done for restricting the diet intake of the individual for the treatment of obesity and weight loss.
What are the indications of Gastrectomy?
Gastrectomy is indicated in the following conditions:
- Stomach cancer
- Ulcers of stomach
- Ulcers of esophagus
- Non-cancerous tumors
What are the steps involved in Gastrectomy?
The steps involved in Gastrectomy are as follows:
- The site of surgery will be evaluated with a series of diagnostic tests and evaluations prior to performing the procedure.
- The patient will be sedated, and the surgical site will be sterilized with a suitable antiseptic solution.
- Based on the extent of the tumor or the cancer tissue, the surgeon will choose to remove a part (Partial Gastrectomy) or whole stomach (Complete Gastrectomy).
- Once the desired surgical outcome is obtained the incisions are closed and a drain will be attached in some cases to drain out fluids and improve the healing process.
- The surgical site will be dressed with sterile bandages and dressing.
Who can perform Gastrectomy [Right specialist type for Gastrectomy]?
Gastrectomy can be performed by:
- Gastroenterology Surgeon
- Qualified Gastroenterologist who has experience or training in Gastrectomy
What is the cost of Gastrectomy?
Cost of Gastrectomy depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Surgeon fee
- Age of the patient
- Medical condition
- Type of facility (Hospital) & room that you opt for
- Post-surgical complications
- The method used for Gastrectomy
- The purpose of the surgery performed (cancer or obesity)
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost for Gastrectomy in Hyderabad starts from Rs. 2,28,000
Average expenses for Gastrectomy in Hyderabad is approximately Rs.5,45,000
Maximum amount to be paid for Gastrectomy in Hyderabad rises up to Rs. 10,00,000
Is Gastrectomy a major surgery or minor surgery?
Gastrectomy is considered a major surgery as it involves either partial or complete removal of the stomach and tissue surrounding it.
What are the risks and complications associated with Gastrectomy?
Few of the risks and complications of Gastrectomy are:
- Gallstone formation
- Bowel obstruction
- Hypoglycemia (low levels of glucose)
- Perforation of the stomach
- Dumping syndrome
How long does it take to complete Gastrectomy?
Gastrectomy may take around 2-4 hours or more to complete and depends on the patient's diagnosis and any other factors involved.
What is the recovery time?
The patient may take around 2-3 months to recover from Gastrectomy.
What is the success rate of Gastrectomy?
The success rate of Gastrectomy depends on the following factors:
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of surgery performed
However, the success rate of Gastrectomy maybe 75-88%.
Is Gastrectomy Permanent?
Gastrectomy is a permanent procedure as it removes either partial or complete stomach.
What are the long-term results of Gastrectomy?
Few of the long-term results of Gastrectomy are:
- Diet restriction in obese patients
- Cure or reduction of stomach cancer
- Rare cases of severe malabsorption of nutrients and anemia
- Prevent the recurrence of stomach cancer
Can Gastrectomy be detected in future?
Gastrectomy can be detected in the future with imaging tests like X-rays and upon physical examination of the abdominal area.
What are the options if Gastrectomy fails?
If Gastrectomy fails, then the doctor may recommend revision surgery or open surgery.
What are the alternatives for Gastrectomy?
The alternatives for Gastrectomy depend on the medical requirement of the patient.Individuals with stomach cancer:
- Chemotherapy, etc.
Individuals suffering from obesity:
- Weight loss pills
- Physical exercise
- Dietary changes, etc.