Frequently Asked Question
What is 2D Echocardiography?
2D Echocardiography is a diagnostic procedure that uses ultrasound to take the live images of the heart. It helps the doctor to monitor the functioning of the heart and the vessels associated with the heart.
Why 2D Echocardiography is done?
- To detect blood clots in the heart vessels
- Accumulation of the fluids in the heart organs
- Any irregularities in the aorta of the heart
Who can perform 2D Echocardiography?
A certified and experienced Cardiologist and or Radiologist can perform 2D Echocardiography.
What is the cost of 2D Echocardiography?
The cost of 2D Echocardiography depends on the following factors:
- Type of the Hospital
- Co-morbidities present in the patient
- Experience of the specialists
However 2D Echocardiography is a common procedure for all individuals and the cost may range between Rs.1,000-Rs.90,000
What are the other types of Echocardiography?
Various other types of Echocardiography are:
- Transthoracic Echocardiography
- Transoesophageal Echocardiography
- Stress Echocardiography
- 3D Echocardiography
- 2D Echocardiography
- Doppler Echocardiography
What conditions 2D Echocardiography can detect?
- Damaged heart muscles
- Heart defects
- Size of the heart
- Strength to pump blood by the heart
- Any defects or damage to the heart valves
Is there any side effect with 2D Echocardiography?
2D Echocardiogram is considered a safe procedure. Mild discomfort may be experienced during the procedure but other complications do not arise as it is supervised all the time.
How 2D Echocardiography is performed?
- The patient will be asked to undress from the waist above and lied down.
- The specialist will attach electrodes to the body to detect the heart’s electrical currents.
- The gel will be applied to the chest for free movement of the transducer which helps in the conduction of the sound waves.
- Then the heart activity is being recorded for diagnosis.
How long does it take to complete 2D Echocardiography?
2D Echocardiography usually takes up to 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Is 2D Echocardiography painful?
Mild discomfort can be experienced during the procedure as the specialist has to apply pressure on the chest to get the accurate sound waves. Otherwise, the procedure as such is not painful.
Is it safe to do 2D Echocardiography during pregnancy?
2D Echocardiography is safe during pregnancy and usually done in 2nd trimester to monitor the fetal heartbeat.