1. What are the causes of snoring?
Snoring can occur due to following reasons:
- Nasal congestion
- Lack of sleep
- Obstructive sleep apnoea
- Alcohol consumption and sleeping on back
- Narrowed airway, airway obstruction and nasal problems
2. Does snoring indicate good sleep?
Snoring does not always indicate a good sleep. The fundamental cause of snoring needs to be determined for its appropriate treatment.
3. Will I snore if I have a cold?
You can snore in case you have cold. There is nasal congestion during cold that obstructs the airflow, further leading to snoring.
4. Is there a treatment available for snoring?
Yes, the treatments methods are implemented after assessing the fundamental cause of snoring. These treatment methods include:
- Treatment of nasal congestion
- Positive airway pressure
- Dental mouthpieces
- Adequate sleep and weight reduction
- Surgery such as uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, radiofrequency ablation
5. Can snoring lead to any serious complications?
Yes, snoring can lead to following complications:
- Increased risk of accident
- Unable to concentrate
- Hypertension and stroke
- Behavioural problems
- Sleeping in daytime