40 doctors available in Ernakulam
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is colitis?
Colitis is known as an inflammatory disease of the colon, which is often associated with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and bloating.
2. What are the causes of colitis?
The following reasons cause colitis:
- Autoimmune responses or allergy
- Ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease
3. How is colitis diagnosed?
Colitis is usually diagnosed by the following methods:
- A complete examination of medical history along with visible signs/symptoms
- A thorough physical examination
- Pathology tests, such as blood culture, for measuring blood count
- Urinalysis and kidney function tests
- Stool culture
- Colonoscopy and biopsy
- CT scan
4. Do i need to be hospitalized for colitis?
Hospitalisation is required if you have developed complications such as haemorrhage, perforation, sepsis, peritonitis, in colitis and if your normal symptoms are not resolved by medications.
5. Is colitis curable?
The early detection and subsequent treatment can completely cure colitis. However, the treatment is decided after determining the underlying cause. Furthermore, ulcerative colitis is not completely curable.