185 Best Doctors for Swelling Treatment in Delhi
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What are the common causes of swelling?
Swelling is usually caused due to one of the following reasons:
- Long-term kidney disease
- Poor nutrition
- Abnormally lower levels of a protein, albumin in the blood
- Excessive salt intake
- Heart failure
- Liver disease
- Varicose veins
- Certain medicines like corticosteroids
2. What are the symptoms associated with swelling?
The following symptoms are associated with swelling:
- Puffiness of the affected area
- Shiny and stretched skin
- Fluid accumulation
-There may be fever
- There may be redness of the affected area
- Pain over the affected area
3. Can allergies cause swelling?
Yes, swelling is one of the common symptoms of an allergy. Food allergy and drug allergy commonly cause swelling of the face and lips. Insect sting allergies cause swelling of the site of the sting. An allergy can also lead to swelling of the lung airways called as bronchitis leading to shortness of breath.
4. Can I use any homecare methods for managing swelling?
Yes, home care methods can help you manage it temporarily. However, consulting a doctor is needed to diagnose and treat the underlying condition. The following home care remedies may be useful:
- Increasing movement of the affected part
- Keeping the swollen part, such as leg, in an elevated position
- Massaging the affected area
- Reducing salt intake
- Protecting the affected area from injury
5. What treatment methods are available for swelling?
Mild edema subsides on its own without any treatment. A severe form of edema may need medicines such as diuretics to remove the excess accumulated fluid from the body. The doctor may prescribe treatment based on the underlying cause of the swelling. Treatments for local swelling (hand or leg) and general body swelling differ.