Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Penile Implant?
Penile Implants are the devices that are placed inside the penis of the men to help with erectile dysfunction. These penile implants help to get an erection. There are different types of Penile Implants. They are as follows:
- Inflatable implants
- Semirigid rods
Inflatable implants: These are the most common devices used for Penile implant surgery. These can be inflated to get an erection and deflated at the other times. Three-piece inflatable implants are also used where a fluid-filled reservoir implanted below the abdominal wall, a small pump, and a release valve are placed in the scrotum and two inflatable cylinders inside the penis. To get an erection, pump the fluid from the reservoir into the cylinders. This fluid can be drained back into the cylinder by releasing the valve which is present inside the scrotum. The two-piece inflatable device also works in a similar way, but the only difference is the fluid reservoir is part of the pump placed in the scrotum.
Semirigid rods: Semirigid devices are the firm devices which can be bent in any way from the body for the sexual activity and also towards the body for concealment.
Penile Implants can be selected based on the size of the patient's penis.
Most of the inflatable implants come with antibiotic coatings to avoid infections.
What are the advantages of a Penile Implant?
The Penile Implant helps in erectile dysfunction. When the erectile dysfunction cannot be treated with the medical treatment, the Penile implant is recommended.
What are the indications of the Penile Implant?
The following are the indications of the Penile Implant:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Scarring inside the penis
- Painful erections
- Peyronie's disease
What is the preparation for Penile Implant?
The following are the preparation steps for the Penile Implant:
- Follow all the instructions given by the doctor or surgeon.
- Take food and drinks as instructed by the doctor.
- The patient may be asked to stop eating and drinking for at least 8 hours before the procedure.
- In case you are using any medications, inform your doctor about it and take them as directed.
What are the steps involved in Penile Implant?
The following are the steps that are followed during the Penile Implant:
- General anesthesia is given before starting the surgery to numb the area and to reduce the pain.
- A catheter is placed in the bladder through the penis to pass the urine during the surgery.
- An incision is made below the tip of the penis.
- The perfect size of the implant is chosen by the doctor and placed at the right position and the cylinders are implanted in the penis.
- If the implants are a three-piece device, then the doctor inserts the fluid reservoir under the abdominal wall with the help of an internal incision.
- If the implant is a two-piece device, a valve and a pump are placed inside the scrotum.
What is the post-surgery care/recovery care for Penile Implant?
The following are the post-care steps to be followed after the Penile Implant surgery:
- The patient will be shifted to the recovery room after the surgery.
- Medications are prescribed to handle the pain.
- The patient may also be advised to take antibiotics prescribed by the doctor for a week to avoid infections.
- During the healing process, the patient is advised to place the penis pointing towards the belly button to avoid downward curvature.
- The patient may be advised to visit the doctor after two weeks to remove the stitches.
- The doctor may recommend the patient to deflate and inflate the device twice a day after the removal of stitches to give practice using them and also it helps in stretching the area surrounding the cylinders.
- The patient is advised not to have sex for at least 5-6 weeks after the surgery.
Who can perform Penile Implant [Right specialist for Penile Implant]?
The Penile Implant can be performed by a certified and skilled Urologist.
What is the cost of a Penile Implant?
The cost of Penile implant in Bangalore depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of hospital
- Age of the patient
- Type of procedure
- Type of the implants used
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- The admission room that is opted by the patient
Minimum price in Delhi starts from Rs.1,05,000
Average expenses in Delhi is approximately Rs.1,89,000
Maximum cost in Delhi rises up to Rs.2,62,500
Is Penile Implant a major surgery or minor surgery?
Penile Implant surgery can be minor or major depending on the patient's age, medical condition, etc.
What is the eligibility criteria for Penile Implant?
The following are the eligibility criteria for Penile Implant surgery:
- Patients of above 20 years can undergo this surgery
- When erectile dysfunction cannot be treated with medications
What is the ineligibility criteria for Penile Implant?
The following are the ineligibility criteria for Penile Implant:
- Active infection at the surrounding area that is to be operated
- Bleeding disorders
- Patients using blood thinners
- Uncontrolled diabetes
- Infections such as urinary tract infection or pulmonary infection
What are the risks and complications associated with Penile Implant?
The following are the risks involved in Penile Implants:
- Infection due to the devices
- Internal erosions
- Internal adhesion
- Implant problems
How long does it take to complete a Penile Implant?
A penile Implant may take around 45 minutes to complete.
What is the recovery time?
The recovery time for Penile Implant is around six weeks after the surgery.
What is the success rate of the Penile Implant?
The success rate of Penile Implant depends on:
- Age of the patient
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of the implant used
- Correct positioning of the implant, etc
However, the approximate success rate is 60-80 percent.
Is Penile Implant painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and discomfort. There may be some pain and discomfort experienced by the patient during a Penile implant. Pain killers may be recommended by the doctor to deal with the pain after the surgery.
Is Penile Implant permanent?
A Penile Implant may last for 10 years depending on the maintenance of the patient.
What are the long-term results of Penile Implant?
The long-term results of Penile Implant are as follows:
- 22% of the patients may experience mechanical failure of the device
- 5% of the patients may experience non-mechanical failure
Can Penile Implant be detected in future?
A penile Implant can be detected in the future due to the presence of the device present inside.
What are the options if the Penile Implant fails?
If the Penile Implant fails then the doctor may suggest the revision surgery.
What are the alternatives for Penile Implant?
A penile Implant is recommended when medical therapy for erectile dysfunction fails. There are no alternatives for Penile Implant.