Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Heart Valve Surgery?
Heart valve surgery is the repair or replacement of diseased heart valves. In general, the blood flows between the different chambers and large arteries of the heart through heart valves.These valves regulate the blood flow by opening and closing to let blood flow through and preventing it from flowing backward. The heart has 4 valves and they are:
- Aortic valve
- Mitral valve
- Tricuspid valve
- Pulmonic valve
Few of the approaches for treating defective heart valves are:
- Patching of the holes of heart valve
- Reconnecting the flaps of the valve (leaflets or cusps)
- Excess valve tissue removal to facilitate the valves to close tightly
- Structural support for the valves by replacing the cords
- Separation of fused valve flaps
- Reinforcing and tightening of the valve ring (annulus)
What are the advantages of Heart Valve Surgery?
The following are the advantages of Heart Valve Surgery:
- Decreased the risk of recurrence of a heart attack.
- Increased life expectancy of an individual
- Treatment for congenital heart conditions
What are the indications of Heart Valve Surgery?
Few indications of Heart Valve surgery are:
- Incomplete closure of aortic valves
- Abnormal bulge or widening of the arterial blood vessels
- Internal damage to the aorta
Who are the best surgeons/doctors to perform Heart Valve Surgery?
A certified and trained Heart surgeon and a Cardiologist who is well experienced in performing Heart Valve surgery can perform this surgery.
What is the cost of Heart Valve Surgery?
Minimum cost for Heart Valve Surgery in Delhi starts from Rs. 2,62,500
Average expenses for Heart Valve Surgery in Delhi is approximately Rs. 3,05,800
Maximum amount to be paid for Heart Valve Surgery in Delhi rises up to Rs. 5,77,500
Cost of Heart Valve Surgery depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of heart valve implants used
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of Hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Is Heart Valve Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Heart Valve Surgery is a major surgery as it involves incisions in the chest region and replacement of the damaged or diseased aorta and aortic valves in the heart with suitable grafts.
What are the risks and complications associated with Heart Valve Surgery?
Few of the risks and complications of Heart Valve Surgery are:
- Heart attack
- Valve dysfunction in the replacement valve
- Irregular heartbeats (arrhythmia)
- Ischemic stroke and death
How long does it take to complete Heart Valve Surgery?
Heart Valve Surgery may take up to 3 to 6 hours to complete.
What is the recovery time for Heart Valve Surgery?
Individuals who had undergone Heart Valve Replacement may take 2-4 months to recover completely.
What is the success rate of Heart Valve Surgery?
The success rate of Heart Valve Surgery depends on the factors like:
- Patient age
- Medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Type of surgery or procedure performed
However, the success rate of Heart Valve Surgery can range from 75-90%.
Is Heart Valve Surgery Permanent?
Heart Valve Surgery is a permanent surgery that involves the incision of the chest and surgical correction of the blood vessels or muscles or heart valves to increase the overall quality and life expectancy of the patient.
Can Heart Valve Surgery be detected in the future?
Heart Valve Surgery can be detected in the future with physical examination (surgical scars on the chest) or other screening and imaging tests.