chest-icon

Uncomfortable breathing

From last one month I have been feeling heaviness in my chest and get uncomfatable in breathing. This has incresed in past 2 days. I feel difficulty in breathing. This increases when I go to sleep. Should I see a doctor?

Doctor Answers (2) on Uncomfortable breathing

Poornachandra Tejaswi S Bangalore | General Physician
Based on the history you have given you should know that there are so many causes which can result in chest heaviness like it can be heart related like blockage of blood vessels supplying the heart muscle or rupture of that vessels or heart valve issues or diseases affecting the outer covering of heart muscle etc. Other than this a person with anemia can have irregular heart rhythm and chest pain, a person wirh thyroid disorders presents with history of hearing ones own heart beating faster and can also complain of chest pain. Recent history of any trauma injuring the ribs can also lead to chest pain.Person with lung infection or fluid/ air collection in the covering of the lungs or blockage of blood vessels supplying the lung or occupational inhalation of certain pollutants leading to lung tissue damage can also have chest pain. Nowadays the most common cause of chest pain in young adults due to untimely eating habits is heart burn/ gastritis. There are instances where a person feels like having a heart attack which is actually a panic attack in extremes of stress, so a chest pain can be psychological also. All this things generally have symptoms of that particular systems in the body which has been affected apart from the chest pain. So kindly consult a physician to know about the exaxt cause regarding your symptom.
Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
It may be due to gastritis....try eating several small meals instead of three large ones whenever you can...Avoid foods that irritate your stomach, especially those that are spicy, acidic, fried or fatty... avoid coffee,tea etc... Avoid stress,consider calming activities, such as meditation, yoga etc...sleep with head raised position and have dinner at least 2 hours before sleep..take over pantaprazole 40 mg twice daily before food with above for 15 days....consult physician if symptoms persists.