Uncleared bowels & gas

Helow doc... My father is going through a long term health issue for at least 15 years and the problem is bowels not getting cleared through out the day with gas and indigestion and mild sleeplessness with amebic stool. Recently these all are accompanied with mild loss of memory.. he also complaints about heartburn.. when pressed at the lower belly it hurts.. he has gone through several medical attentions and prescribed with high dose of antacids and laxatives and antibiotics but after the course is over the problem remains the same... how to fix this permanently??? Thank you...

Doctor Answers (1) on Uncleared bowels & gas

Dr. Bodhisatwa Choudhuri Kolkata | General Physician
Hello. From the symptoms you described, looks like your father is suffering from IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome) with gastritis. Use of high dose laxative may be very dangerous at his condition and age, as they may cause sever electrolyte imbalance, which may be the cause of memory loss. Kindly follow up in my clinic as further clinical examination and detailed info regarding previous treatment received is needed to help him medically. It is difficult to advise him medications without examining him personally. Hope this helps.