Swelling near toe nail

I have a slight swelling near toe nail from yesterday and it gives a sharp pain upon even the slightest of touch. I have a habit of chipping off toe nails with my hands and this time in the corner of my toe, I might have gone too deep in while chipping off the nail from the side. Kindly suggest.

Doctor Answers (2) on Swelling near toe nail

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Paronychia is a soft tissue infection around a fingernail that begins as cellulitis but that may progress to a definite abscess.
The treatment of choice depends on the extent of the infection. If diagnosed early, acute paronychia without obvious abscess can be treated nonsurgically. If soft tissue swelling is present without fluctuance, the infection may resolve with warm soaks 3-4 times daily.
Consult Surgeon....
Dr. Rashmi T V Bangalore | General Physician
Hi Your toe should be examined for any ingrowth of nail .... Any pus collection or a clear cut in the skin.... Ingrown nail should be removed and pus to be drained on antibiotics coverage ...