chest-icon

Pulmonary embolism

I had a very sharp pain in my chest near about 20-30 minutes last month. I had been taken to the heart hospital and told that I'm suffering from pulmonary embolism. Blood clots in my both left and right arteries that have been travelled from my legs (I had dvt in my legs and was taking medicines for that). I have pain in both side of my chest all the time. Now doctor says nothing but take medicines regularly. I want to know when I will be alright? I want to know every measures about PE.

Doctor Answers (1) on Pulmonary embolism

Dr. Chethan R S Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there, Treatment is aimed at keeping the blood clot from getting bigger and preventing new clots from forming. Prompt treatment is essential to prevent serious complications... Blood thinners (anticoagulants). These drugs prevent new clots from forming while your body works to break up the clots. Heparin is a frequently used anticoagulant that can be given through the vein or injected under the skin. It acts quickly and is often overlapped for several days with an oral anticoagulant, such as warfarin, until it becomes effective, which can take days... Clot dissolvers (thrombolytics). While clots usually dissolve on their own, there are medications given through the vein that can dissolve clots quickly. ...