Nipple discharge

My left breast nipple is discharging blood. I hav visited many doctors all gav ask me to go for operation.open or micro both are there.which is good.

Doctor Answers (1) on Nipple discharge

Dr. Arunabha Das Darjeeling | General Physician
I can understand your concern. Blood stained discharge from nipple is a symptom which may be due to involvement of single duct or multiple duct in breast. In case of single duct involvement, 3 possible diagnosis are 1) intraductal papilloma, 2) intraductal carcinoma, 3) Duct ectasia. In case of multiple duct involvement, the possible diagnosis are 1) Duct ectasia. 2) Fibrocystic disease. 3) Carcinoma of Breast.  So, the possibility of cancer should be first ruled out by investigations. Consult any oncologist in this regard for opinion urgently, before operation date is planned. In your case, operation will depend upon the number of involvement of duct from which blood stained discharge occurs. If single duct is involved, than microdochectomy is first choice. If multiple ducts are involved,than radical duct excision is the operation of choice. Before operation, you must also say to doctor that the sample of operation must be first shown to you than send for histopathological diagnosis. Donot avoid histopathological analysis. Your doctor knows the best about your disease. Ask your operating surgeon too, regarding choice of operation and any other query.