Night teeth chattering

People sleeping around me have started complaining that I have been making noise with my teeth while sleeping. I am not even aware of this . I dont do this when I am awake . What could be the probable causes of this?

Doctor Answers (1) on Night teeth chattering

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
Sleep bruxism is considered a sleep-related movement disorder. People who clench or grind their teeth (brux) during sleep are more likely to have other sleep disorders, such as snoring and pauses in breathing (sleep apnea).Mild bruxism may not require treatment. However, in some people, bruxism can be frequent and severe enough to lead to jaw disorders, headaches, damaged teeth and other problems. Certain therapies may help relieve bruxism, such as: Stress management. If you grind your teeth because of stress, you may be able to prevent the problem with professional counseling or strategies that promote relaxation, such as exercise or meditation. Behavior therapy. Once you discover that you have bruxism, you may be able to change the behavior by practicing proper mouth and jaw position. Ask your dentist to show you the best position for your mouth and jaw. Biofeedback. If you're having a hard time changing your habits, you may benefit from biofeedback, a form of complementary medicine that uses monitoring procedures and equipment to teach you to control muscle activity in your jaw. These self-care steps may prevent or help treat bruxism: Reduce stress. Listening to music, taking a warm bath or exercising can help you relax and may reduce your risk of developing bruxism. Avoid stimulating substances in the evening. Don't drink caffeinated coffee or caffeinated tea after dinner, and avoid alcohol and smoking during the evening, as they may worsen bruxism. Practice good sleep habits. Getting a good night's sleep, which may include treatment for sleep problems, may help reduce bruxism. Talk to your sleep partner. If you have a sleeping partner, ask him or her to be aware of any grinding or clicking sounds that you might make while sleeping so that you can report this to your doctor. Schedule regular dental exams. Dental exams are the best way to identify bruxism. Your dentist can spot signs of bruxism in your mouth and jaw with regular visits and exams.