My infant tiptoes
My infant who is 16 months now, he tiptoes... When he stands he is always on toes and when he tries to sit down he keeps his right heel down to balance and then he sits. My pediatrician advised to consult an orthopaedic. I am really worried. Is this necessary? Is he OK?. I feel he is. Kindly help.

Dr. Pallavi Mehta
General Physician 6 yrs exp Mumbai

Hello Madam, It is common among infants to tip toe. An orthopedic doctor will be the best person to judge what is to be done about it. Usually in mild cases,braces are given for the children to wear with which they learn to walk properly. They usually don't need the braces for a long time and start walking very fast.