Medical myths

What are some common Medical/Human body myths that Doctors know but Laymen don't know? This would help us to form medically sound life choices.
views-icons 55 Views bookmarks-icon 1 Bookmark Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (2) on Medical myths

Dr. Anil Kumar Jain Bangalore | General Physician
Hello there. 

I can understand your concern. 
The most common one is that "doctor is a merchant of death and just wants to make money by prescribing loads of medicines"

When a medicine is prescribed, we tell you to take it for "n" number of days because thats what is the course duration.

Most people think i'm fwlling better now, why should i take the medixines. Well if patients do such practises,  its its only going to be bad for them. The bacteria would become resistant to common antibiotics because of not adhereing to a full course of antibiotics and to fight such resistant bacterias, we will have to prescribe even stronger antibiotics which are naturally more expensive.
Best regards. 
Dr. Anil kumar jain.

Dr. Pallavi Mehta Mumbai | General Physician
Hello Dear, There are many myths that are prevailing in our society. You can ask which one in particular do you want to know about? For eg I can share the one I recently came across - a patient with mild fever and running nose was told to be suffering from a certain "white jaundice" by a Hakim. He was given some powder to sprinkle over himself and do some kind of prayer for a week and was told that jaundice will disappear in a week. In fact,the patient was suffering from viral fever and his fever and other symptoms were bound to disappear with or without the powder .