Epilepsy medicine
My wife is taking Eptoin 100 mg twice day since 2 months after having fits.now she is normal but she needs to take this or similar kind of medicine for 2 years. But now we are planning for pregnancy in oct and wondering which epilepsy medicine she should take which is safe during pregnant. Any thoughts?

Dr. Hithysh BM
hello my first impression is that she should not conceive while taking anti epileptic drugs...coz various adverse affects occur in mother and child pregnancy itself may precipitate seizure....and she has to follow strict antenatal care..... but not with phenytoin coz a dangerous syndrome known as foetal hydantoin syndrome occurs in which the baby will have craniofacial and limb anomalies and also will have low iQ so its bettr to change this drug if u are planning to conceive on above mentioned risks kindly contact neurologist and obstetrician and proceed further.