COPD diagnosis
My father aged 52 has been diagnosed with COPD.He had been suffering from severe cough for sometime.Doctor advised him unicontin 400 daily at night.Cough has been much reduced now.I want to know is it really COPD because doctor didn't do spirometry test and my father doesn't smoke . Should I go for spirometry test .Also are there any other alternatives to unicontin 400 since I have read there are many side effects .

Dr. Amruth Sindhu
Pulmonologist 10 yrs exp Bangalore

Hi. I understand your concerns. and all the points you have raised are quite valid. Ideally a spirometry is definitely required to diagnose COPD. so it is better to consult a pulmonologist for the same. if you are from bangalore you can consult me at my clinic at hebbal kempapura. Details are given in practo. Hope your questions were answered. Thanks.