immune-system-icon

Cat bite and bleeding

Yesterday my cat gave a bite at my hand suddenly and it bleed too.. I went to local hospital and doctors examined my hand and prescribed 5 shots of Anti rabies vaccine for a fixed schedule.. But he did not prescribed me immunoglobulin(Equirab) in the affected area.. Will there be a problem?? If i take only the ARV not the immunoglobulin???? 24 hours have passed already..

Doctor Answers (2) on Cat bite and bleeding

Dr. Arunabha Das Darjeeling | General Physician
Immunoglobulin is indicated for animal bite in case of wounds which are deeper than whole length of skin, involving muscle and bone or both as early as possible. Dosage of immunoglobulin should not be denied whatever time has elapsed as per WHO recommendation. Immunoglobulin is infiltrated along wound site deeply (50% of dosage) and rest along buttock intramuscularly. A possible chance of anaphylactic reaction remains after taking equine heterologous immunoglobulin (EQUIRAB), which is treated accordingly by physician. SO, PERFORM SKIN SENSITIVITY TEST FOR EQUIRAB BEFORE APPLYING IT IN YOUR WOUND.
You should take anti-rabies vaccine as per 5 schedule mentioned in local hospital, along with human anti-rabies immunoglobulin which is safer than (EQUIRAB) equine heterologous immunoglobulin. Human anti rabies immunoglobulin does not cause hypersensitivity. Dosage of human anti rabies immunoglobulin is must for 3rd degree animal bite wound after whatever time has elapsed, as per WHO guideline.
You should not be worried about immunoglobulin dosage as it is mandatory to be taken for 3rd degree wound due to animal bite. Keep watch on animal too during course of treatment,if possible.
Dr. Bodhisatwa Choudhuri Kolkata | General Physician
Hello. Ideally you should also take anti-rabies immunoglobulin along with ARV, as it is category III contact. Dose of Equirab is 40U per kg body weight. Each vial contains 1500U in 5ml. So if your weight is 60kg, dose becomes 2400U or 8ml. At least half of the total dose of the injection needs to be given at the site of the bite, rest at other site. But skin sensitivity test is must before administration of Equirab inj. Dose of ARV 1ml on day 0 (day of bite), 3,7 & 14 - total 4 doses. Hope this helps.