Buyin substitute medicine

Some people say neve buy substitute medicine,some don't buy generic medicines at all.when the chemical composition,salts etc are all same when read on the label then why some buy and some don't buy the substitute medicine. Will the substitute,generic medicine not be as effective as the one prescribed by the doctor or its a marketing gimmick to push sales of medcines.What precautions does one need to follow while buying these .

Doctor Answers (1) on Buyin substitute medicine

Sharath Kumar K N Mandya | General Physician
Hello, I went through your query, if the chemical composition, dosage and formulations are same,, then efficiency of the drug should be same regardless of brand. Most of the time colour of tablet, it's cost psychologically affects person unknowingly, as most of people think drug is more effective if it is costlier and comes with more attractive the pack and colour,, majority of time it is just a psychological feeling. And I hope you got the answer, for any other queries feel free to ask