Breath stopping cough

From last 1 week I'm having cough(no cold). From last 3 days three or four times a day I get cough in way that stops my breath and it brings tears to my eyes, voice gets faded. Later a burp comes and throat gets better then everything gets normal. But those few seconds are hell for me. Consulted a physician, he gave me some antibiotics, then I tried steam, honey ginger, drank hot water but still problem is there. I smoke twice a day. My diet is healthy as I work out 6 days a week in gym. What should I do ?

Doctor Answers (1) on Breath stopping cough

Dr. Swathi S Aithal Bangalore | General Physician
Hello since you have already consulted a physician and have taken antibiotics for the same it looks like the infection is persisting and probably it is getting aggravated because of your smoking habits I suggest you to cut down on your smoking as much as possible ....I know it is not easy to quit on a single day but until your coughing reduces its better to avoid..continue taking pepper and honey preparation one spoon atleast  twice a day... thank can consult a pulmonologist..