Alcohol Abuse and Addicti

Dear Doctors, My parents are suffering from alcohol addiction and alcohol abuse. I am sure this is how it has been for the last 25 years or more, considering I'm 25. Everytime my parents consume alcohol, I feel they are more open to disclose a bothering problem about each other (even something small and ridiculous to fight over) and fighting like dogs. There has been cases where the neighbour had to come down due to the extreme noise created. As a child, I have always hated them for this. But with age, I have tried explaining to them how it affects us and the family and how they should stop drinking. But they only take it personally and say I am not perfect either and I do not have the right to preach them. Today I have reached a point where I do not want to live with them, just to escape this drama everyday and night. But my brother has to live through this everyday. I know my parents need professional help to come out of the addiction. But I do not know where to start. Please help

Doctor Answers (2) on Alcohol Abuse and Addicti

Harisha N L Bangalore | General Physician
First and foremost you must understand quiting alcohol is a very gradual process. They should have strong determination and patience if they want to quit....and medications can't be prescribed just like that...de addition is a multi step procedure... They need to undergo counselling sessions to get motivated later on medications can be started... I would suggest you to consult nearest deaddiction center they will do the needful.
Dr. Swathi S Aithal Bangalore | General Physician
Hello..
Well I understand what you must be going through..it's really difficult in convincing them..you can talk to someone close to you and to your parents for help so that they can open up to them and you get know why the problems have started...for professional help best thing is alcohol de-addiction centre or re habilitation centre....thank you