Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is lyme disease?
The bacterium – Borrelia burgdorferi – causes Lyme disease. This bacterium is transmitted into the humans via the bite of an infected tick. It can become lethal if it is not treated in time in some people.
2. How does lyme disease spread?
Lyme disease is not contagious; however, it spreads among the humans through the bite of an infected tick.
3. What are the symptoms of lyme disease?
Lyme disease is commonly characterised by the following symptoms:
- Fever with chills
- Headache or body ache
- Neck stiffness
- Erythema migrans
- Numbness or weakness in limbs
- Pain in joints, sore throat and muscle aches
4. Can serology tests accurately diagnose lyme disease?
Yes, following serology tests can perform the accurate diagnosis of Lyme disease:
- Western blot test
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay that detects the Borrelia burgdorferi antibodies
5. Can lyme disease be transmitted sexually?
Lyme disease cannot be transmitted sexually. It usually is transmitted to the humans by the bite of infected tick.