121 doctors available in Chennai
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is insomnia?
Insomnia is a sleep disorder, which causes difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep.
2. What causes insomnia?
Common causes of long-term insomnia include:
• Overeating in the evenings
• Poor sleeping habits
• Sleep-related conditions like restless leg syndrome and apnea
• Conditions affecting mental health like anxiety
• Some medications like certain blood pressure medicines and antidepressants
• Changes in the circadian rhythm due to changes in work or travel schedule
3. What are the early signs of insomnia?
Early signs of insomnia include:
• Waking up too early
• Difficulty falling asleep at night
• Increased tendencies of accidents and errors
• Feeling sleepy or tired during the day
• Not feeling well-rested after a night’s sleep
• Waking up during the night.
• Difficulty in remembering things and paying attention
• Feeling irritated, anxious or depressed
4. Is insomnia sign of clinical depression?
According to researchers, there is a definite link between clinical depression and insomnia. Moreover, insomnia or difficulty in falling asleep is one of the common signs of depression.
5. How can insomnia be treated?
Prescription medications, over-the-counter sleeping aids and methods of cognitive-behavioral therapy like light therapy, stimulus control therapy, and relaxation techniques are common treatment approaches for insomnia.