Frequently Asked Questions
What is Plastic Surgery?
Plastic Surgery is a type of surgical speciality which helps to reconstruct or repair various parts of the body. It may be done by transfer of the tissues to the injured part of the body or for cosmetic purposes. This helps to modify the appearance of the patient. There are several types of plastic surgeries and the doctor recommends depending on the area of the body to be treated. Most of the Plastic Surgeries are:
- Complex facial reconstruction
- Breast reduction
- Breast augmentation/enhancement
- Laser skin resurfacing
- Forehead lift
- Hand surgery
- Buttock lift
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Breast reconstruction with implants
- Tissue expansion
- Permanent makeup
What are the advantages of Plastic Surgery?
- Boosts self-confidence
- Enhances the appearance of the particular part of the body or whole body
- Restores the damaged part of the body
- Decreases the depressive symptoms due to undesired body outlook
What are the indications of Plastic Surgery?
Plastic Surgery is indicated in the following conditions:
- Heavy breasts
- Small breasts
- Hair loss
- Damage to the body part/s
- Undesired shape or color of a specific part fo the body like lips, breast, tummy, etc
What is the preparation for Plastic Surgery?
- Inform the doctor about, present and past medical and, medication history.
- The surgeon will examine the area of the body to be treated, to know what kind of changes should be made.
- The doctor may suggest the patient to undergo a few blood tests and other examinations.
- The patient should explain clearly to the surgeon about the changes that he/she is expecting.
- Also, avoid applying any creams or makeup on the day of surgery.
- Take all the medications as instructed by your doctor.
- The area of the body to be treated will be photographed from various angles to compare it with the pictures after completion of the surgery.
- Avoid smoking as it delays the healing process.
- The consent form should be signed by the patient or the guardian before undergoing the surgery.
What is the post-surgery care/recovery care for Plastic Surgery?
- After the surgery, the operated area will be either covered or not with the bandages.
- Do not use lotions, creams, make-up, etc around the operated area.
- Avoid going to crowded places and dusty areas to reduce complications like getting infections.
- To prevent infection, keep the operated area clean all the time.
- If pain and swelling are seen, consult the doctor immediately.
- Make appointments for a check-up with the doctor.
- Follow all the instructions given by the doctor.
Recovery care form Plastic Surgery varies from one type of surgery to another.
Who can perform Plastic Surgery [Right specialist type for Plastic Surgery]?
Plastic Surgery can be done by:
- Plastic surgeon
- Cosmetic surgeon
- Other specialist doctors can also perform Plastic Surgery and it depends on the area of the body to be treated
What is the cost of Plastic Surgery?
Cost of Plastic Surgery depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Doctor fee
- Type of surgery planned to be performed
- Age of the patient
- Area of the body to be treated
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
The estimated amount for Plastic Surgery is below and it may vary.
Minimum cost for Plastic Surgery in Chennai starts from Rs.33,250
Average expenses for Plastic Surgery in Chennai is approximately Rs.76,703
Maximum amount to be paid for Plastic Surgery in Chennai rises up to Rs.1,47,250
Is Plastic Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Plastic Surgery can be either major or minor surgery and it depends on the type of surgery planned to be performed and the health condition of the patient.
What is the eligibility criteria for Plastic Surgery?
People who can undergo Plastic Surgery are:
- Individuals who are unhappy with the appearance of the specific body part.
- People who are suffering from the distorted shape of the specific body part.
- Injuries which affect your appearance.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Plastic Surgery?
People who cannot undergo Plastic Surgery are:
- Individuals who are suffering from severe skin diseases.
- People with a weak immune system.
- People under 16 years of age.
What are the risks and complications associated with Plastic Surgery?
Risks and complications associated with Plastic Surgery are:
- Infection at the site of surgery
- Pain and swelling
- Redness around the site of surgery
- Delay in the healing process
- Unsatisfactory results
- The need for revision surgery
- Rarely, reaction to the anesthesia
- Scarring at the site of surgery
- Formation of blood clots
How long does it take to complete Plastic Surgery?
Plastic Surgery may take almost 2-6 hours to complete and sometimes it may take more than the usual time depending on the health condition of the patient.
What is the recovery time?
Individuals who undergo Plastic Surgery may take almost 1-3 months to recover and in a few cases, recovery time may vary depending on the type of surgery performed.
What is the success rate of Plastic Surgery?
The success rate of Plastic Surgery depends on the following factors:
- Experience of the surgeon
- Health condition of the patient
- Type of surgery performed
Is Plastic Surgery painful?
Every surgery comes with a certain level of pain and some discomfort. The patient won't be experiencing any pain during this process due to the anesthetic effect.
Is Plastic Surgery permanent?
Plastic Surgery is done to improve the appearance of the specific part of the body and this is permanent. In some cases, revision surgery may be required.
What are the long-term results of Plastic Surgery?
Some of the long-term effects of Plastic Surgery are:
- Improves the appearance of the part of the body
- Boosts self-confidence
Can Plastic Surgery be detected in the future?
Plastic Surgery may or may not be detected in the future and it depends on the type of surgery performed and the area treated.
What are the options if Plastic Surgery fails?
If Plastic Surgery fails, then the doctor may recommend revision surgery.