Frequently Asked Questions
What is Orthopedic Surgery?
Orthopedic Surgery is a surgical procedure that treats various diseases or disorders or conditions of the bones, joints, and associated tissues, ligaments, muscles, and nerves. This surgery can replace a complete or partial part of the damaged or diseased bones or joints.
What are the different types of Orthopedic Surgeries?
There are different types of Orthopedic Surgery and few of them are:
- Knee replacement
- Hip replacement
- Joint replacement
- Bone marrow transplant
- Knee arthroscopy
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Lumbar spine fusion
What are the advantages of Orthopedic Surgery?
- Replaces damaged or diseased bone marrow with healthy stem cells
- Provide new and healthy stem cells that may kill cancer cells directly
- Restores the movement and activity of bonesImproves walking ability
- Reduces pain while walking or running
- Faster recovery
- Improves the quality of life for all ages of patients with restricted bone movement
- Relief from the pain
What are the indications of Orthopedic Surgery?
Orthopedic Surgery is indicated in the following conditions:
- Knee injury
- Fracture of bone
- Torn anterior or posterior cruciate ligaments
- Swelling of the synovial joint
- Dislocation of the patella
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Severe hip fracture
- Septic arthritis
- Sickle cell anemia
- Aplastic anemia
- Hurler's syndrome
- Multiple myelomas
- Relapsed Hodgkin’s disease
- Relapsed Non-Hodgkin’s disease
- Metastatic germ cells tumors
- Acute myeloid leukemia
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Perthes disease
- Bone dysplasia (unusual bone growth)
- Deformed hip joint with pain and loss of cartilage
- Avascular necrosis (a disorder in which there are insufficient blood supply and death of bone tissue in the knee joint)
- Deformed knee with pain and loss of cartilage
- Baker's cyst
Who can perform Orthopedic Surgery [Right specialist type for Orthopedic Surgery]?
Orthopedic Surgery can be performed by:
- Orthopedic Surgeon
What is the cost of Orthopedic Surgery?
Cost of Orthopedic Surgery depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Type of surgery planned to be performed
- Surgeon fee
- Age of the patient
- Unilateral or bilateral surgery
- Area of the body to be treated
- Type of implants usedThe medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost for Orthopedic Surgery in Chennai starts from Rs.23,750
Average expenses for Orthopedic Surgery in Chennai is approximately Rs.1,18,750
Maximum amount to be paid for Orthopedic Surgery in Chennai rises up to Rs.4,75,000
Is Orthopedic Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Orthopedic Surgery may be either major or minor surgery depending on disease severity and type of surgery planned to be performed.
What are the risks and complications associated with Orthopedic Surgery?
Orthopedic Surgery has the following risks and complications:
- Blood clots
- Tissue damage
- Nerve damage
- Damage to operated joint
- Swelling at the site of surgery
- Joint stiffness
- Stem-cell failure
- Damage of the organs
- Graft-versus-host disease
How long does it take to complete Orthopedic Surgery?
Orthopedic Surgery may take 1-3 hours to complete and, in a few cases, it may take more time depending on the area of the body to be treated and the type of surgery planned to be performed.
What is the recovery time?
The individuals who undergo Orthopedic Surgery may take 2-6 weeks to recover completely.
What is the success rate of Orthopedic Surgery?
The success rate of Orthopedic Surgery depends on the following factors:
- Type of surgery performed
- Experience of the Surgeon
- Health condition of the patient
However, the success rate of Orthopedic Surgery maybe around 62% to 85%.
Is Orthopedic Surgery permanent?
Orthopedic Surgery can be either temporary or permanent depending on the purpose of the surgery. In most of the cases, implants used in the surgery will be replaced after 10-12 years.
What are the long-term results of Orthopedic Surgery?
Some of the long-term results of Orthopedic Surgery are:
- Improves patient’s quality of life
- Restores normal functions of the treated bones or joints
- Relieves joint and bone pains
- Improves walking ability
Can Orthopedic Surgery be detected in future?
Orthopedic Surgery can be detected in the future as there may be the presence of scars at the site of surgery.
What are the options if Orthopedic Surgery fails?
If Orthopedic Surgery fails, then the doctor may suggest revision surgery.