Frequently Asked Questions:
What is Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia Surgery is a surgical procedure used to treat medical conditions which involve the accumulation of fat and tissue in the chest region of men which is uncommon and are associated with conditions like hypogonadism, steroid abuse, hypo or hyperparathyroidism, etc.
What can be the advantages of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Some of the advantages of Gynecomastia Surgery are:
- Improved quality of life by boosting self-confidence and self-esteem in men by a flatter and masculine chest.
- Improve the overall physical appearance
- The surgery can relieve the symptomatic pain and discomfort and recovery is also faster
- The scars are invisible
What are the indications of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia Surgery is indicated in the following conditions:
- Body pain because of enlarged breast
- Anabolic steroid abuse
- Decreased or restricted daily activities because of pain, rashes, and irritation in the chest region
- Altered hormone levels
- Decreased testosterone levels (Hypogonadism)
What is the preparation for Gynecomastia Surgery?
- Consult with the Doctor regarding all the risks, complications, and benefits of Gynecomastia Surgery before undergoing the surgery.
- The patient should inform about past and present medical and medication history to the doctor.
- The doctor may suggest undergoing a few lab tests and other examinations.
- The medical condition of the patient may be checked by the doctor before undergoing Gynecomastia Surgery.
- The patient should sign a consent form before undergoing this surgery/procedure.
What are the steps involved in Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia Surgery includes the following steps:
- The Surgical approach of the doctor depends on the initial diagnosis and the condition of the patient.
- Initially, the patient will be sedated and markings for incisions would be made.
- Based on the type of tissue present, the doctor can choose from liposuction or excision of excess muscle tissue.
- After the necessary steps, the incisions would be closed and dressed using sutures and sterile bandages.
What is the care taken for patients after the procedure?
- Medicines like antibiotics and pain killers must be taken as prescribed by the doctor.
- Clothing to support the chest muscle must be worn till the incisions are healed.
- Area of incisions must be cleaned and dressed regularly to avoid infections.
- Strenuous activity like lifting heavy weights must be avoided for at least two to four weeks after the surgery.
- The doctor would recommend you to sleep on your back for a few weeks.
Doctors from which specialty can perform this Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia Surgery can be performed by:
- Plastic Surgeon
- Cosmetic Surgeon
What is the price of Gynecomastia Surgery in Chennai?
Expenses for Gynecomastia Surgery in Chennai changes due to the following factors:
- Medical condition of the patient
- Surgeon fee
- Admission fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc.
- Type of surgery planned to be performed.
Minimum amount to be paid in Chennai starts from Rs.50,000
Average charges in Chennai is approximately Rs.57,733
Maximum cost in Chennai rises up to Rs. 90,000
Is Gynecomastia Surgery a major or minor surgery?
Gynecomastia Surgery can be a major or minor surgery depending on the patient's diagnosis.
Who can prefer to get Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia Surgery is recommended in the following individuals:
- Individuals suffering from back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and rashes or skin irritation under the breasts due to large breasts.
- Men with enlarged breast due to hormonal changes and cannot be treated with other treatment options
Who cannot prefer to get Gynecomastia Surgery?
The individuals whose condition can be managed medically usually do not prefer surgery.
What are the risks and complications that are connected with Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia Surgery has the following risks and complications:
- Loss of sensation around the chest area
- Asymmetry or irregularities in the shape of breasts
- Delayed wound healing or deep tissue damage such as muscles, blood vessels, and nerves
How much time does it take to complete Gynecomastia Surgery?
30- 90 minutes
What can be the recovery time of Gynecomastia Surgery taken by the patient?
An individual would take 2- 4 weeks to completely recover from gynecomastia surgery.
What is the success rate of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Below factors will change the success rate of Gynecomastia Surgery:
- Medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
- Patient age
- Type of surgery performed
However, the success rate of Gynecomastia Surgery maybe 93%
Does Gynecomastia Surgery hurt patients?
The patient would experience slight pain or discomfort after the surgery, however, the pain would subside when the incisions heal.
Is Gynecomastia Surgery a permanent procedure/surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery is permanent
What can be the long-term effects of Gynecomastia Surgery?
Relief from pain, discomfort and can boost self-esteem and confidence in the long term after the gynecomastia surgery.
Is Gynecomastia Surgery possible to be detected in the future?
The surgery can be detected in the future by comparing the results before and after the surgery
What measures can be taken if Gynecomastia Surgery fails?
In case of a failed Gynecomastia Surgery, the doctor may suggest a revision surgery.
Are there any alternatives to Gynecomastia Surgery?
Alternatives for Gynecomastia Surgery are:
- Tissue resection or liposuction
- Elevation of nipple and areolar complex
- Medication therapy