Frequently Asked Questions
What is Marriage Counselling?
Marriage Counselling is a collaborative effort of a counselor and the client (couple) to improve the family life of an individual by assisting them in overcoming the conflicts, misunderstandings, etc. to help build a better and stronger relationship. Marriage Counselling helps the couple to cope up with behavioral changes, marital issues, or mental or emotional disorders.
Can counseling help a marriage?
Marriage Counselling helps the couple to see the positive side of a marriage and overcomes the conflicts between them. The success rate of Marriage counseling is also high. So, counseling can help a couple.
Can a single person go for Marriage Counselling?
There are lots of reasons where a single person can go for Marriage Counselling. Few reasons are:
- After divorce
- Breaking the negative pattern of marrying someone who is not good for you
- Help in ‘getting out there’
- Getting to know yourself better
What is the success rate of Marriage Counselling?
The success rate of Marriage Counselling maybe 70-80%.
What happens in Marriage Counselling?
Marriage Counselling usually brings the couple close by conducting joint sessions. Skills to solidify marriage are learned with the counselor, such as
- Open communication
- Problem-solving skills
- How to solve the differences in a rational way
What is the cost of Marriage Counselling?
The cost of Marriage Counselling depends on the following factors:
- Experience of the counselor/therapist
- The number of sessions required by a couple
- The fees are per session, per hour or packages offers, etc.
However, the cost of Marriage Counselling may be up to Rs.5,700 to Rs.12,350 per session.
When a couple should go for Marriage Counselling?
- When a couple is not talking
- When a couple is talking but all negative
- When a person is afraid to talk
- When as a punishment to the partner, affection is withheld
- When an individual antagonizes their partner
- Keeping secrets
- When an individual is unfaithful
- When a couple fights over some little topic over and over
- When the sex life is not pleasant
Why Marriage Counselling is done?
Marriage Counselling is done to strengthen the partnership and overcome the conflicts to gain a better understanding of each other. The topics discussed during Marriage counseling are:
- Communication problems faced by a couple
- Sexual difficulties
- Child caring in a blended family
- Substance abuse
- Anger management
- Premarital Counselling for the couple to get a better understanding of each other before marriage.
Is Marriage Counselling effective?
The effectiveness of Marriage Counselling totally depends on the dedication and efforts given by a couple to overcome the issues. Timing is very essential when a couple wishes to go for Marriage Counselling.
What are the advantages of Marriage Counselling?
The advantages of Marriage Counselling are:
- It helps in clarifying the misunderstanding or communication differences between a couple.
- It can make the connection of a couple stronger than ever.
- Can help in removing roadblocks in a marriage.
- Can help in personal growth and self-awareness of an individual in a marriage.