Frequently Asked Questions
What is Cancer Treatment?
The treatment method of using various treatments like chemotherapy, radiation, anti-cancer drugs to either cure, treat, control, or reduce the symptoms of any types of cancer can be grouped together as cancer treatments. Generally, cancer disease is treated with the help of radiation and surgery, it can remove, kill or damage the cancer cells in a certain area of the body.
What are the advantages of Cancer Treatment?
The advantages of cancer treatment are as follows:
- Decreases the growth of cancer cells
- Cure or treat the cancer
- Reduce or stop the spread of cancer to surrounding healthy cells
- Prevents the chances of reoccurrence for cancer
- Improves patient's quality of life
- Improves life expectancy of the individual
What are the indications of Cancer Treatment?
Indications for Cancer Treatment are the following:
- Any type of cancer
- To stop spreading the cancer cell to the surrounding healthy tissues or cells
- Degree and severity of cancer
What is the preparation for Cancer Treatment?
Before undergoing cancer treatment, the following preparation is needed:
- Preparations vary depending on the type and severity of cancer that the patient is suffering from and the treatment required.
- Discuss with the doctor about all the risks, complications, and benefits associated with the type of cancer treatment suggested by the doctor.
- Before undergoing cancer treatment, the patient should inform past and present medical and medication history to the doctor.
- The doctor may suggest the patient to undergo a few lab tests before the procedure.
- The patient should sign a consent form prior to the procedure.
What is the postprocedure care/recovery care for Cancer Treatment?
- After the completion of a treatment session, the patient may need to stay in the hospital until the completion of the examination by the doctors.
- Should follow the diet given by the dietician.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- During and after the procedure, the patient may feel sad or lonely.
- To avoid this, the patient should visit the doctor for counseling.
- Make follow-up appointments with the doctor to check the status of the disease condition and the effectiveness of the chemotherapy.
Who can perform Cancer Treatment [Right specialist type for Cancer Treatment]?
Cancer Treatment can be performed by:
- An Oncologist
- A doctor who is well experienced in performing several successful Cancer Treatments
What is the cost of Cancer Treatment?
Cost of Cancer Treatment depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Oncologist fee
- Age of the patient
- Area of the body to be treated
- The medical condition of the patient
- Type of cancer treatment planned to be performed
- Post-procedure complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Minimum cost for cancer treatment in Chennai starts from Rs.90,000
Average expenses for cancer treatment in Chennai is approximately Rs.4,75,000
Maximum amount for cancer treatment to be paid in Chennai rises up to Rs.23,75,000
Is Cancer Treatment a major procedure or minor procedure?
Cancer treatment may be a major procedure as it involves the usage of either a single drug or combination of drugs to treat the type of cancer/disease condition and may cause several side-effects to the patients.
What is the eligibility criteria for Cancer Treatment?
People who can undergo Cancer treatment are the one who is suffering from any type of cancer.
What is the ineligibility criteria for Cancer Treatment?
People who cannot undergo cancer treatment are:
- Individuals with damaged or suppressed bone marrow
- Individuals with a recent history of cancer treatment
What are the risks and complications associated with Cancer Treatment?
Following are a few risks and complications of cancer treatment:
- Hair loss [Alopecia]
- Nausea or vomiting
- Severe tiredness
- Hearing impairment
- Bleeding problems
- Decreased blood count
- Oral inflammation
- Loss of appetite
- Mental health problems
How long does it take to complete Cancer Treatment?
Cancer treatment may take almost 4-6 months to complete and sometimes it may take less or more than the usual time depending on the number of treatment cycles, condition of the patient, type of cancer, and type of drugs used.
What is the success rate of Chemotherapy?
The success rate of Chemotherapy depends on the following factors:
- Number of treatment cycles
- Type of cancer
- Type of chemotherapy drugs used
- Age of the patient
- Health condition of the patient
Is Cancer Treatment painful?
Generally, most of the cancer treatments don't cause any pain and there is less chance for the patients to feel pain during and after the cancer treatment. However, if any pain is experienced, consult the doctor immediately.
Is Cancer Treatment permanent?
Cancer treatment is a permanent procedure that helps to either cure or reduce the spread of cancer.
What are the long-term results of Cancer Treatment?
- Reduces the reoccurrence of cancer
- Stops the spread of cancer to surrounding cells
- Hearing loss
- Hair loss
What are the options if Cancer treatment fails?
If Cancer treatment fails, the doctor may suggest alternatives like Radiation therapy, Immunotherapy, etc.
What are the alternatives for Cancer therapy?
- Radiation therapy
- Hormone therapy