Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. Can drinking plenty of water help me in treating constipation?
Drinking sufficient amount of water helps soften the stool and improves bowel movement. Dehydration causes constipation as water is absorbed from the colon making passage of stool difficult.
2. What medicines are useful in treating constipation?
Constipation can be generally treated with laxatives. The various categories of laxatives used are stool softeners, fibre supplements, osmotics, lubricants, suppositories and stimulants which cause contraction of the intestines.
3. Can I have isabgol to treat constipation?
Isabgol which is also known as psyllium husk is a great remedy for treating constipation. It is a laxative which acts by increasing the mass of the faecal content making passage of stool easier. It is generally taken at night with a glass of warm water.
4. What are the foods that can help me clear my bowel and treat constipation?
Consuming foods rich in fibre is a great way to treat constipation. Fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains are rich in indigestible fibres and can be consumed to help clear the bowels.
5. What are the side effects associated with the conventional treatment for constipation?
Some laxatives can cause bloating and abdominal pain. A serious problem associated with long term use of laxatives is called laxative abuse which can cause electrolyte and fluid imbalance, dehydration and dependance.