427 doctors available in Bangalore
Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
1. What is osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a condition wherein the protective cartilage which acts as a cushion between the ends of any two bones starts wearing down due to wear and tear. It is common in the elderly age group.
2. What are the symptoms of osteoarthritis?
•pain of the affected joints during movement.
• stiffness especially on waking up or after prolonged inactivity.
• swelling and tenderness on applying pressure around the joints.
• loss of flexibility of the joints.
• grating sensation
•on movement one can hear a crackling sound.
• bone spurs extra bits of bones in the affected joints
3. What causes osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is caused by wearing down of the joints. The risk factors of OA are
• Old age- OA increases with age.
• Sex- women are more than men.
• Obesity- extra body weight adds stress to the joints.
• Joint injuries during sports or accidents.
• Repeated stress to a certain joint in some professions.
• Certain metabolic disorders like hemochromatosis.
4. Are there any home remedies to treat osteoarthritis?
Home remedies can offer some relief
• hot/cold compress
• support devices or braces to the affected joints, canes
• Exercises and lifestyle changes.
• Being active by walking yoga etc.
• Green tea consumption.
• Turmeric, nuts and other dairy products consumption.
5. What are the treatment measures for osteoarthritis?
In treatment measures, pain management is done in the form of acetaminophen and analgesics on prescription only. Secondly, physiotherapy is used to improve the flexibility and for strengthening of muscles and exercises to support the affected joints. Cortisone injections can be given into the joint spaces but are not advisable for the long run.