Frequently Asked Questions
What is Pacemaker Surgery?
The process of surgically placing a pacemaker in the heart of an individual is known as Pacemaker Surgery. It is a 2 part battery-operated device, where the electrode leads are placed in the heart and the electric pulse generator device will be placed either under the skin or outside the body with an adhesive patch. A pacemaker is often used to treat individuals with a slow or irregular heartbeat.
What are the types of Pacemakers?
The following are the types of pacemakers:
- Single-chamber: The electrode will be connected to either the right atrium or the right ventricle
- Dual-chamber: The electrodes will be connected to both right atrium and right ventricle
- Biventricular pacemaker: The pacemaker has 3 electrodes connected to the atrium and ventricle on the right and to the ventricle on the left.
What are the indications for Pacemaker Surgery?
Pacemaker Surgery is recommended for individuals during the following conditions:
- Sick sinus syndrome (Malfunction of the SA node)
- Heart block
- Atrial fibrillation
- Cardiac arrest or Heart attack
- Irregular heartbeat
- Bradycardia (slow heartbeat)
Who are the best surgeons/doctors to perform Pacemaker Surgery?
A certified and trained Cardiovascular Surgeon and a Cardiologist who is well experienced in performing pacemaker implantation can perform this surgery.
What is the cost of Pacemaker Surgery?
Minimum cost for Pacemaker Surgery in Bangalore starts from Rs.194700
Average expenses for Pacemaker Surgery in Bangalore is approximately Rs.226050
Maximum amount to be paid for Pacemaker Surgery in Bangalore rises up to Rs.260700
Cost of Pacemaker Surgery depends on factors such as:
- Admission fee
- Surgeon fee
- Age of the patient
- Type of pacemaker used
- The medical condition of the patient
- Post-surgical complications that are involved
- Type of hospital
- The admission room that you opted for
- Any other lab tests or examination tests such as X-ray, ECG, etc
Is Pacemaker Surgery a major surgery or minor surgery?
Pacemaker Surgery is a major surgery as it involves incisions near the chest region and directing the leads into the heart and placement of the generator device either outside or under the skin of the individual.
What are the risks and complications associated with Pacemaker Surgery?
Risks and Complications associated with Pacemaker Surgery are:
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Bleeding or infections
- Puncture or bleeding within the heart tissue
- Misplacement of the leads due to constant movement
How long does it take to complete Pacemaker Surgery?
The average time required to complete a Pacemaker Surgery can range around 2-4 hours.
What is the recovery time for Pacemaker Surgery?
Individuals who undergo Pacemaker Surgery may take 3-7 days to recover completely.
What is the success rate of Pacemaker Surgery?
The success rate of Pacemaker Surgery depending on few factors like:
- Patient age
- Medical condition of the patient
- Experience of the surgeon
However, the success rate of Pacemaker Surgery maybe 90%.
Is Pacemaker Surgery Permanent?
Pacemaker Surgery can either be temporary or permanent surgery based on the patient medical condition and the type of pacemaker device used.
What are the long-term results of Pacemaker Surgery?
Few of the long term results of Pacemaker Surgery are:
- Improved Cardiac function
- Increased overall life expectancy
- Improved quality of life of the patient
Can Pacemaker Surgery be detected in the future?
Pacemaker Surgery can be detected in the future upon physical examination and imaging tests.
What are the options if Pacemaker Surgery fails?
In case of a failed Pacemaker Surgery, the doctor may suggest a revision surgery with a suitable pacemaker replacement device.