Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is FUE Hair Transplant?
Hair transplant is on a rising trend these days and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) or Follicular Transfer is one of the two main methods used to extract the follicle for hair transplantation. Strip harvesting is another method used for transplantation of hair.
How much does FUE Hair Transplant cost?
Cost is approximate 50000 to 1 lakh Indian rupees, which means 25-30 rupees per root
Right specialists type for FUE Hair Transplant?
A Dermatologist or a Cosmetic Surgeon
What is bio FUE Hair Transplant?
Bio FUE is a new technique for FUE. It’s biotechnology for hair follicle extraction. While FUE includes only extracting hair follicle from donor area (area unaffected by hair loss), Bio FUE includes extractions and infusion of serum for the rapid growth of the hair.
What is micro FUE Hair Transplant?
Micro FUE is a minimally invasive method for hair transplant using a microbore needle for extraction of follicles, wherein microbore and micro grafts are taken out for transplantation. Since the instruments used are tiny, the trauma is very little and hence healing is faster.
What are the side effects of FUE Hair Transplant?
FUE is otherwise a safe procedure, but the following may happen:
- Swelling at scalp
- Crust formation on the side of hair removal and implanted
- Folliculitis: Itching, inflammation of the hair follicles
Is FUE Hair Transplant safe?
FUE is comparatively safer procedure, with minimal side effects.
Is FUE Hair Transplant permanent?
FUE is a permanent solution for hair loss or baldness.
Is FUE Hair Transplant painful?
FUE isn't as painful. However, mild discomfort may arise during the extraction process.
Is FUE Hair Transplant successful for hair loss?
Almost 98 % success rates are noted in various studies.
Can FUE Hair Transplant be done for women?
FUE is avoided in female gender, due to the need of head-shaving at donor site or trimmed. FUSS -Follicular unit strip surgery is the choice of treatment in females.
What are the results of FUE Hair Transplant for hair loss?
An immediate hairline can be appreciated soon after transplant, but the same will be scabbed and swollen. It might take 10 days for all inflammation to settle and results.
You may also want to know
FUE Hair Transplant Overview
Starting in 2002, hair transplant procedure had a modern technique to offer its consumers, with fewer side effects, astonishing results, and early healing. The method they quoted as Follicular Unit Extraction or FUE. As the name suggests - FUE includes extraction of a whole complete hair follicle with its roots. It ‘ s different to strip method in a way that strip methods extract an entire strip or portion of the hair from the donor area. However, FUE taken single hair follicle and then implants it at recipient site- one by one.
FUE Hair Transplant indications: pattern & stages of hair loss/baldness
Loss of hair has become a social taboo these days and requires close attention for a faster, safer and early resolution. However, not all hair losses qualify for an FUE procedure.
The following are a few considerations for initiating the process:
- Male baldness or hair loss
- Failure to strip surgery method
- FUE is attempted in areas with thick donor area, making strip technique difficult
- Patient doesn’t approve of post-surgery scars
- Area of transplant is relatively smaller
Pattern and stages of hair loss:
Hair loss or baldness is medically known as Alopecia. Hair transplant is a rescue to those suffering. Alopecia is a medical condition that can happen in both men and women and has been seen affecting patients in a pattern or stages. A patient is referred to have alopecia when hair fall is seen in patches. Though affecting both genders, the treatment technique may be different depending on the stage and type of hair loss and also the gender. FUE, for example, is a treatment of choice in male baldness.
The pattern/stages include the following:
No hair loss is seen at this stage. There is the presence of an adolescent line of hair.
A very mild hair loss is seen, limited to the frontal hairline.
It is considered significant by the dermatologists to be diagnosed as “alopecia” or “male pattern hair loss”. The patient mostly shows hairline receding at the temporal area of the scalp. There is an additional area of hair loss seen at the crown area.
Hairline recedes in temple areas at the front of the head, which is evident at the crown. But the sides of head still have hair.
Hair loss is very severe is more distinct between at crown and the temporal regions
A horseshoe-shaped formation of hair is seen around the baldness concentrated in the center of the scalp.
This is the last stage of the hair loss and only a wreath of hair is visible.
Advantages of FUE Hair Transplant
FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) are two methods of hair transplantation.
However, FUE is used majorly because of its following advantages over FUT:
- FUE has much better results and permanent too
- The scar post-FUE is a tiny dot or scar as compared to an entire strip in FUT
- It's safe and natural. It uses the hair follicles of your own self and hence rejection is minimal.
- Less invasive surgery, hence healing of donor area in faster
- Pain felt is minimal, even after the procedure
- The short sessions help the patients with early hair loss
Eligibility criteria for FUE Hair Transplant
Although, hair loss might be a result of any one of the age, genetics, environment, any disease, or from a combination of above. The hair transplantation technique and session will vary from patient to patient, depending on the needed outcome and extent of hair loss.
The following should be kept in mind while deciding on hair transplantation:
- Male pattern baldness
- Thinning of hair in women
- Early-stage hair loss
- Available donor hair follicles
Ineligibility criteria for FUE Hair Transplant
The following should avoid FUE:
- Patients with “ diffuse unpatterned alopecia”, fungal infections of scalp etc.. should not undergo hair transplant.
- Stage of hair loss plays an important role. At an advanced stage , it becomes difficult to get viable follicles for transplantation.
- Any severe bleeding disorder or high blood sugars- Patients should take appropriate treatment before opting for an invasive procedure“Widespread hair loss “pattern in women
- Patients with hair loss because of medical reasons such as Chemotherapy or Radiation therapy
Guidelines before undergoing FUE Hair Transplant
FUE is comparatively a non-invasive surgery and allows early healing for the patients. The following should be taken care of before the procedure:
- Search and study about the center and the doctor
- Understand the FUE and other techniques
- Enquire about the best method of transplantation available for you
- Before the procedure, wear formal clothing. Avoid anything from above the headwear, like a T-Shirt.
- Any previous disease or diagnosis has to be re-investigated and clearances will be needed for the procedure
- Discuss with your surgeon about any regular drug intake.
- Wash your hair properly before treatment
- Wear a cap or cover your head to avoid dust in the hair prior to the procedure
- Eat a light meal in the morning
- Avoid smoking and alcohol 3-4 days prior to the procedure
- Some basic blood investigations will be done prior to the procedure
Steps of FUE Hair Transplant procedure
FUE is a new technique devised to minimise the invasion for the transplantation surgery. After the initial investigation and finalisation of the method, you may expect the following at the clinic to happen.
Your doctor will also explain the procedure:
- Identification of donor area
- Cleaning of donor and the recipient area
- Marking of the donor area into grids or check boxes
- Giving local anaesthesia at the donor site through needles/injections
- Your doctor may also giving you mild sedatives and you may feel sleepyPlucking out of hair follicle as a single unit along with roots
- Separating the hair follicle of sebaceous fluids and debris under microscopeAnaesthetising the recipient areaImplanting hair follicle one by one
- Application of medicated cream containing protein at the donor area to stop bleeding and fill in hole.
- Your doctor may give you in-between breaks. It’s a long procedure and may require multiple sittings as per your requirement. Also drinking caffeine is to be avoided as this may increase the risk of bleeding from donor area.
- It is to be understood that there are multiple options available before FUE and the same can be discussed with your dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon prior to considering hair transplantation.
Also, there is another method FUT for the same transplantation. The only difference between and FUE and FUT is that in FUE every transplanted hair follicle is extracted as a single unit. However, in FUT, the surgeon will extract a strip from the donor area and implant the same at the recipient area.
Post-procedure care/ recovery after FUE Hair Transplant
Hair transplantation or particularly, FUE is a very tedious and work of precision. Post-transplant care for at least 2 weeks in very necessary, else you may lose your transplanted hair follicle.
Following may be advised by your treating doctor :
- For first 3-4 days, keep your head inclined at 45 degrees while sleeping.
- Sleep straight over your spine every day for at least 4-5 days
- Regular application of your advised creams at donor site is inevitable
- Do not wet your scalp
- Regular dressings of the area
- Do not scratch or rub your recipient area or donor area
- Scab will form by 20th day and the same will fall off naturally
- You may bathe your scalp by 2 weeks, after discussing with your doctor
- Pay your scheduled visit to the doctor
- Keep a watch on your diet and eat as suggested
- Take your pain medication and antibiotics in time to decrease the risk infection.
- Massage your forehead as directed. Particularly from center to sides or temporal areas. This will help in avoiding forehead swelling and bruising and swelling under the eyes ( around the periorbital area).
Risks/ complications associated with FUE Hair Transplant
FUE is a comparatively safer method of hair transplantation. The side effects, if any seen, will be for a short while and will settle in few weeks. However, the same should always be discussed with your doctor once.
The patient may experience the following:
- Pain at the donor and recipient site
- Bleeding from the donor site
- Scalp swelling- particularly front head
- Bruising and swelling under the eyes
- Itching and excessive scab formation
- Sudden loss of all transplanted hair. This is known as Shock loss
- Irregular hair tufts
Long term outcome/results of FUE Hair Transplant
Hair transplantation has been seen having fairly satisfactory results.
The following may be expected in long run:
- Transplanted hair follicle will continue to grow in the area transplanted
- Density of the area
- Loss of hair may be seen if not taken care properly
Depending on the laxity of the scalp, the following may vary:
- Variation in growth and density
- Curling of hair
- Quality of hair
Alternatives of FUE Hair Transplant
Following can be considered before opting for FUE method:
- Oral medication to stop hair fall and to augment new hair growth
- Ointments and topical application to stimulate the hair follicles to help grow them.
- PRP/A Cell: This is the latest advancement in the field. Platelets containing certain growth factors are targeted to help grow hair follicles.
- Laser light combo
- Laser therapy
FUE Hair Transplant videos