What is hair restoration?
Hair Restoration is nothing but a hair transplant treatment. This procedure is done to add more hair to the area on the head where thinning or balding is present. It can be performed by extracting hair from thicker sections of the scalp, or from various parts of the body. Grafting hair to the thinning patches of the scalp is a part of a hair transplant. Surgeons also started practicing mini and micro-grafts to minimize the look of transplanted hair on the scalp.
What are the methods of a hair transplant?
There are two different methods of transplant and they are FUT and FUE.
Follicular unit transplantation (FUT): FUT is also known as follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS). Following are a few of the steps of the FUT procedure:
- Initially, the surgeon extracts a strip of the scalp about 6 to 10 inches long from the back of the head.
- Then, the extracted strips will be split into 2,000 smaller fragments that are called grafts.
- The surgeon creates small holes on the scalp to insert hair from grafts and this is called grafting. After completion of the procedure, surgical sites will be covered with bandages.
Follicular unit extraction (FUE): Following are the few of the steps of the FUE procedure:
- The surgeon takes the individual follicles from the scalp.
- Then, as in the FUT procedure, creating small holes on the scalp and grafting can be done.
- Later, the surgical area will be covered with the bandages.
What are the indications of hair transplant surgery?
Male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness are the most common conditions that require hair transplant surgery. Hair thinning or recession in specific areas of the scalp are also indicated for hair transplant. Hair transplantation often improves the self-confidence of a person.
What are the causes of hair loss?
Following are a few of the causes of hair loss:
- Genetic factors - male and female pattern baldness
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy
- Thyroid problems - hypo and hyperthyroidism
- Poor nutrition
- Medications - drugs used to treat cancer, blood pressure, and heart problems
- Medical conditions - diabetes, anemia, PCOS
- Radiation treatment
- Usage of hairstyling products
Whom should an individual consult for hair transplant treatment?
A certified and well-experienced Dermatologist or Trichologist or Hair Transplant Surgeon can perform Hair transplant surgery. A particular specialist will examine the health condition of the scalp and confirm the type of hair transplant to be done.
What are the alternatives for hair transplant?
Few of the alternative techniques for hair transplant are:
- Topical medications like minoxidil
- Oral medication like finasteride
- Low-level laser and light therapy
- Usage of vitamin-E capsules for the nourishment of hair
- Dietary supplements
What are the side effects associated with hair transplant surgery?
Following are a few of the side effects related to hair transplant surgery:
- Swelling of the scalp
- Sudden temporary loss of the grafted hair - shock loss
- Formation of crust on the donor areas of the scalp
- Numbness on the surgical area of the scalp
- Bruising near the eyes
- The unnatural appearance of hair tufts
Is hair transplant permanent?
Yes, hair transplant is a permanent and effective treatment for restoring the lost hair. Surgeons replace bald or thin areas of the scalp with healthy hair follicles by different types of hair transplant methods. The grafted hairs are resistant to hair loss causing hormones like dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Transplanted hairs will continue to grow even the natural hairs fall as these are DHT resistant.