1. What causes a red eye?
Red eye is primarily caused by the following agents:
- Environmental pollutants such as dust or dry air
- Allergies and infections
- Eye trauma, glaucoma, etc.
- Scleritis, uveitis or eye surgeries
- Contact lens or sunlight
2. Is the condition treatable?
Yes, the condition is managed by treating the fundamental cause of red eye. The treatment includes the administration of antibiotic eye drops, lubricating eye drops, antihistaminic drops, cold compress along with avoiding the irritants.
3. Do I need to see a doctor for red eye?
You need to consult a doctor for red eye if it is associated with other symptoms such as a decrease in vision, pain and itching. In addition, if these symptoms last for more than one week, then it can be a symptom of severe fundamental conditions such as uveitis, scleritis, trauma, glaucoma and eye infections.
4. What are the home remedies for red eye?
The home remedies for red eye are as follows:
- Use of lubricating eye drops, antihistaminic and antibiotic eye drops
- Application of cold compress over eyes
- Abstaining from contact lens during the condition
- Use of artificial tears.
5. Can the condition spread to other people?
The spread of red eye is totally based upon its basic cause. Bacterial and viral conjunctivitis can spread from one person to other since they are highly contagious.