Book appointments with minimum wait-time & verified doctor details
More doctors in Ahmedabad
Practo does not guarantee confirmed appointments and wait-time with these doctors
1. What is a Pulmonologist?
A pulmonologist is a medical professional who specialize in diagnosing and treating lung-related conditions.
2. What type of respiratory problems can a Pulmonologist treat?
Pulmonologists treat the following respiratory conditions:
• Pulmonary hypertension
• Lung cancer
• Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
• Cystic fibrosis
• Obstructive sleep apnea
3. When do you need to visit a Pulmonologist?
You should visit a pulmonologist when you experience the following symptoms:
• Problems in exercising due to difficulty in breathing
• Unexplained weight loss with cough since over 4 weeks
• A persistent cough
• Smoking habit
• Bloody mucus with pus
• Shortness of breath
4. What tests wil a Pulmonologist do for a check up?
Pulmonologists typically recommend pulmonary function tests or PFTs. They are a group of tests which generally include spirometry, lung volume tests, arterial blood gas test, lung diffusion capacity, and pulse oximetry estimates. They might even order a chest X-ray or CT scan, based on your individual needs.
5. What is the difference between a Pulmonologist and chest surgeon?
Chest surgeons perform surgical procedures on the lungs and heart. Pulmonologists may perform specialized procedures to obtain samples from the lung or chest but do not perform surgeries.e.g. bronchoscopy